GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please help with identifying this plant. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198809-please-help-identifying-plant.html)

Alan \(BigAl\) 11-07-2011 08:11 PM

Please help with identifying this plant.

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g444/bigalinsk/

This is about 4 ft high and has hollow stems which can be up to about 10 or
12 mm thick.
I am not sure how it came to sit in the corner of the garden, but I like it.
It is in a terrible spot and I should like to relocate it, but where and in
what sort of conditions?

Alan

Bob Hobden[_3_] 11-07-2011 09:54 PM

Please help with identifying this plant.

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"Alan \(BigAl\)" wrote:

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g444/bigalinsk/

This is about 4 ft high and has hollow stems which can be up to about 10
or
12 mm thick.
I am not sure how it came to sit in the corner of the garden, but I like
it.
It is in a terrible spot and I should like to relocate it, but where and
in
what sort of conditions?

Looks like Leycesteria formosa aka Pheasant berry.

See for example
http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/ga...re_200_029.htm
although the flowers on yours don't seem as red as the ones in the
picture there.

Yes, it does seem very pale flowered. Normally they are quite red/brown.
I don't think it's too fussy about where it grows which is why it's growing
so well in a "terrible spot".

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Alan \(BigAl\) 11-07-2011 10:53 PM

Please help with identifying this plant.

http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/ga...re_200_029.htm
although the flowers on yours don't seem as red as the ones in the
picture there.

Yes, it does seem very pale flowered. Normally they are quite red/brown.
I don't think it's too fussy about where it grows which is why it's
growing so well in a "terrible spot".

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Could it be lack of sun that is stopping the development of deep colour. It
is under a bramley apple tree and is a stranger to direct sunshine.

Alan