Old 19-07-2011, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default grass growning in containers - any way to remove it?

Hi, I was given some bulbs which seem to have been carrying a lot of
grass and weed seeds.

I planted them in my containers and before I knew it they resembled a
lawn :-)

I removed the grass and weeds, went away for a week and they're back in
force.

Is there any way to remove them please? I don't want / can't remove the
soil.

Thanks,

Craven.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:23:16 +0100, Craven wrote:

Hi, I was given some bulbs which seem to have been carrying a lot of
grass and weed seeds.

I planted them in my containers and before I knew it they resembled a
lawn :-)

I removed the grass and weeds, went away for a week and they're back in
force.

Is there any way to remove them please? I don't want / can't remove the
soil.

Just keep at it: they can't stand up to repeated attacks. If the
containers are huge and the weeds are really dense, and the bulbs are
totally leafless, and there's nothing else growing in there, you could
use a glyphosate spray; but it's probably best not to if you're still
a fairly new gardener.

I avoid herbicides if I can, but I have occasionally used glyphosate
when I had to: if you're really sure of yourself, you can wrap things
you don't want to kill in plastic, or shield them with cardboard. But
a little puff of wind can lead to tears before bedtime...

--
Mike.
Old 20-07-2011, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 19, 9:35*pm, Mike Lyle wrote:
[...]

I have my doubts about this.
You say the bulbe must have been carying a lot of grass and weed seed,
How?
You would have seen them on the bulbs.
I think the weed seed was in the compost you used.
If you can I'd remove the top couple of inches of compost and replace
it with fresh, clean compost.
Old 24-07-2011, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Or just keep pulling the grass and weeds out.

Alan

Old 26-07-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/07/2011 21:35, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:23:16 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Brilliant, will do cheers.

Old 26-07-2011, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2011 13:01, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jul 19, 9:35 pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

I could be wrong - I'm definitely no expert - but I'm only getting the
weeds and grass in the containers I put these bulbs in. All other
containers are fine. I used the same compost in each.