GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Making a small patio (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198920-making-small-patio.html)

Timothy Murphy 19-07-2011 01:34 PM

Making a small patio

My wife wants me to make a small patio (4 metres by 4 metres).
I've ordered the stone - Bradstone in 3 sizes -
and am contemplating putting it down.
Last year we put down lawn turf where the patio is to go,
but it has not done very well.

I'm thinking of digging up the turves,
and laying the stones on the fairly level soil underneath.
Then if all seems well I was going to get an expert
to lay the stones properly.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

harry 19-07-2011 08:37 PM

Making a small patio

On Jul 19, 1:34*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My wife wants me to make a small patio (4 metres by 4 metres).
I've ordered the stone - Bradstone in 3 sizes -
and am contemplating putting it down.
Last year we put down lawn turf where the patio is to go,
but it has not done very well.

I'm thinking of digging up the turves,
and laying the stones on the fairly level soil underneath.
Then if all seems well I was going to get an expert
to lay the stones properly.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy *
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

They will soon sink.
You will need to remove all topsoil and replace with scalpings, well
compacted with vibrating plate.
The pavious can then be laid on a thin layer of sand to slight slope
to drain water away.

Andy 20-07-2011 08:50 AM

Making a small patio

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
My wife wants me to make a small patio (4 metres by 4 metres).
I've ordered the stone - Bradstone in 3 sizes -
and am contemplating putting it down.
Last year we put down lawn turf where the patio is to go,
but it has not done very well.

I'm thinking of digging up the turves,
and laying the stones on the fairly level soil underneath.
Then if all seems well I was going to get an expert
to lay the stones properly.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Hi Tim,

You can take a look at my personal experience of laying a patio here...

www.mygardenproject.co.uk/patio.php

....plenty of pics and you might pick up a tip or two.

Andy

Timothy Murphy 20-07-2011 11:19 AM

Making a small patio

Andy wrote:

My wife wants me to make a small patio (4 metres by 4 metres).
I've ordered the stone - Bradstone in 3 sizes -
and am contemplating putting it down.

You can take a look at my personal experience of laying a patio here...

www.mygardenproject.co.uk/patio.php

...plenty of pics and you might pick up a tip or two.

Dear Andy,

Thanks very much for that; it is interesting and useful.
I must admit my main conclusion
(as also from http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm
which someone recommended me to read)
is that the task is beyond me.

The stone merchant has recommended a man who will lay the stones
for 20 euro per square metre (plus materials).
I thought I would save myself 400 euro,
but on second thoughts I shall follow the merchant's advice ...