GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   rhubarb (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199036-rhubarb.html)

No Name 26-07-2011 04:15 PM

rhubarb

My rhubarb seems to have come back for a second crop.
Is it still safe to eat at this time of year?

David Rance[_6_] 26-07-2011 05:00 PM

rhubarb

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 wrote:

My rhubarb seems to have come back for a second crop.
Is it still safe to eat at this time of year?

I had a second growth and ate some a week ago. It was fine - just like
the spring growth.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-07-2011 05:20 PM

rhubarb

On 26/07/2011 17:00, David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 wrote:

My rhubarb seems to have come back for a second crop.
Is it still safe to eat at this time of year?

I had a second growth and ate some a week ago. It was fine - just like
the spring growth.

David

AFAIAA the leaf stalks are safe to eat any time, whereas the leaves aren't.

--

Jeff

'Mike'[_4_] 26-07-2011 05:38 PM

rhubarb

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 wrote:

My rhubarb seems to have come back for a second crop.
Is it still safe to eat at this time of year?

I had a second growth and ate some a week ago. It was fine - just like
the spring growth.

David

AFAIAA the leaf stalks are safe to eat any time, whereas the leaves
aren't.

--

Jeff

??????????????????????

Who eats the leaves?

Mike

Bill Grey 26-07-2011 07:46 PM

rhubarb

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 wrote:

My rhubarb seems to have come back for a second crop.
Is it still safe to eat at this time of year?

I had a second growth and ate some a week ago. It was fine - just like
the spring growth.

David

AFAIAA the leaf stalks are safe to eat any time, whereas the leaves
aren't.

--

Jeff

??????????????????????

Who eats the leaves?

Mike

Some useful information he-

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/poison

Bill

[email protected] 26-07-2011 08:04 PM

rhubarb

In article , wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
AFAIAA the leaf stalks are safe to eat any time, whereas the leaves
aren't.

I have heard (on here, I think) that the later in the season, the less
unpoisonous they become.

Who eats the leaves?

One of the girls I used to work with, apparently her mum used to put them in
salads. Apparently she's also still alive. Go figure.

Some 50 years of evolution have adapted us to tolerating quite high
levels of some common plant toxins in our diet - provided that we
don't overdo it or do it too regularly, there isn't a problem.
Oxalic acid is one such, as we sorrel-lovers know well - as are
caffein and most tannins. Oh, and ethanol, as in overripe fruit :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mike Lyle[_1_] 26-07-2011 10:23 PM

rhubarb

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:04:11 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article , wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
AFAIAA the leaf stalks are safe to eat any time, whereas the leaves
aren't.

I have heard (on here, I think) that the later in the season, the less
unpoisonous they become.

Who eats the leaves?

One of the girls I used to work with, apparently her mum used to put them in
salads. Apparently she's also still alive. Go figure.

Some 50 years of evolution have adapted us to tolerating quite high
levels of some common plant toxins in our diet - provided that we
don't overdo it or do it too regularly, there isn't a problem.
Oxalic acid is one such, as we sorrel-lovers know well - as are
caffein and most tannins. Oh, and ethanol, as in overripe fruit :-)

This is a first! I knew about Young Earth Creationists already, but a
Young Earth Evolutionist is a new species.

--
Mike.

No Name 26-07-2011 10:37 PM

rhubarb

Janet wrote:
I have heard (on here, I think) that the later in the season, the less
unpoisonous they become.

The later in the season, the higher the level of oxalic acid.
People with gout, rheumatoid arthritis or kidney stones may want to
avoid that.

http://oxalicacidinfo.com/

But. I'm curious if this is the case, because this isn't long-season
rhubarb, this is "grew in March, died off by May, decided to start growing
again in July". It's almost like it's gone into next year's growth early
due to the odd weather (which I wouldn't at all put past it, but it'll
probably be very tired by next year!)

harry 26-07-2011 10:41 PM

rhubarb

On Jul 26, 10:37*pm, wrote:
Janet wrote:
I have heard (on here, I think) that the later in the season, the less
unpoisonous they become.

*The later in the season, the higher the level of oxalic acid.
* People with gout, rheumatoid arthritis or kidney stones may want to
avoid that.

http://oxalicacidinfo.com/

But. *I'm curious if this is the case, because this isn't long-season
rhubarb, this is "grew in March, died off by May, decided to start growing
again in July". *It's almost like it's gone into next year's growth early
due to the odd weather (which I wouldn't at all put past it, but it'll
probably be very tired by next year!)

My rhubarb grows continuously.....

No Name 26-07-2011 10:55 PM

rhubarb

harry wrote:
But. ?I'm curious if this is the case, because this isn't long-season
rhubarb, this is "grew in March, died off by May, decided to start growing
again in July". ?It's almost like it's gone into next year's growth early
due to the odd weather (which I wouldn't at all put past it, but it'll
probably be very tired by next year!)

My rhubarb grows continuously.....

It died off a lot earlier than I expected it to this year, I think normally
it keeps going till autumn. It got rather stressed with lack of water,
early heat, starting itself up too early (it was in full growth when
normally it would only be forced stuff available), then we went on holiday
and came back to it being in bloom! Should have chopped it up in the winter
and replanted, but Nick didn't get around to it and it started growing
before he did anything ...

harry 27-07-2011 07:48 AM

rhubarb

On Jul 26, 11:15*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ee271eb4-3456-46fd-9cf9-2c1e25827969
@b19g2000yqj.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jul 26, 10:37*pm, wrote:
Janet wrote:
I have heard (on here, I think) that the later in the season, the less
unpoisonous they become.

*The later in the season, the higher the level of oxalic acid.
* People with gout, rheumatoid arthritis or kidney stones may want to
avoid that.

http://oxalicacidinfo.com/

But. *I'm curious if this is the case, because this isn't long-season
rhubarb, this is "grew in March, died off by May, decided to start growing
again in July". *It's almost like it's gone into next year's growth early
due to the odd weather (which I wouldn't at all put past it, but it'll
probably be very tired by next year!)

My rhubarb grows continuously.....

* So does mine. What came up in spring is still in full leaf and won't die
back until autumn frost. But I don't eat it past the end of July.

Well neither do I, but only because it gets a bit stringy.

No Name 27-07-2011 09:18 AM

rhubarb

Janet wrote:
My rhubarb grows continuously.....

So does mine. What came up in spring is still in full leaf and won't die
back until autumn frost. But I don't eat it past the end of July.

But that's kind of the question, really ... given it died back and has
regrown, does the new stuff count as 'new' growth and the past-July rule
would't apply? Or, more likely, is it better not to take the chance ...

(My uncle accidentally killed his pet rabbit with rhubarb leaves many many
years ago, so I'm told)

kay 27-07-2011 11:55 AM

I suppose that depends on what governs the production of the oxalic acid. Does it build up steadily during the growth season, or is it a response to, eg, longer days and greater light levels?

If the former, you're OK, if the latter - could you try forcing it? - ie excluding light?

Of course, it might be a response to higher temperatures .... ;-)

Also, you may want to consider the overall strength of the plant - if it's had a nap in the middle of the year when it should have been photosynthesising like mad and building up root stores, then you may feel it's better to treat it nicely for the rest of the season.

harry 27-07-2011 06:59 PM

rhubarb

On Jul 27, 9:18*am, wrote:
Janet wrote:
My rhubarb grows continuously.....

*So does mine. What came up in spring is still in full leaf and won't die
back until autumn frost. But I don't eat it past the end of July.

But that's kind of the question, really ... given it died back and has
regrown, does the new stuff count as 'new' growth and the past-July rule
would't apply? *Or, more likely, is it better not to take the chance ....

(My uncle accidentally killed his pet rabbit with rhubarb leaves many many
*years ago, so I'm told)

The leaves contsin oxalic acid. The stalks are OK, just as they get
old they get tough and tasteless.