GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Acer/Magnolia Pests ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/19927-acer-magnolia-pests.html)

Ricky 01-05-2003 06:56 PM

Acer/Magnolia Pests ??

Hi there,

Wonder if anyone can help with this 'problem',

We have in pots Acers and a Magnolia, which seem to have their bark
covered in what I only describe as 'Barnacle' like creatures, which
when removed leave like a 'cotton residue' behind.

any ideas please ... what they might be .....

TIA

--
Ricky

* Remove 'opps.' to reply *

Andy 01-05-2003 10:32 PM

Acer/Magnolia Pests ??

Systemic insecticide works best

"Shelley T" wrote in message

On Thu, 01 May 2003 18:56:55 +0100, Ricky
wrote:

Hi there,

Wonder if anyone can help with this 'problem',

We have in pots Acers and a Magnolia, which seem to have their bark
covered in what I only describe as 'Barnacle' like creatures, which
when removed leave like a 'cotton residue' behind.

any ideas please ... what they might be .....

They are called scale insects, and they are awkward to get rid of
(IME). I normally resort to a proprietary insecticide to try and clear
them off.