GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Alder or not? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199281-alder-not.html)

Jim S 10-08-2011 12:21 PM

Alder or not?

Passed a tree (brings tears to my eyes at the thought) which was
waterside-growing, and had male fruits as an alder does, but the leaves
were heart shaped (like lilac) and not the usual beech/elm like leaves that
I expected.
Ideas? No photo until next Monday.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Neil Jones 10-08-2011 12:31 PM

Alder or not?

On 10/08/2011 12:21, Jim S wrote:
Passed a tree (brings tears to my eyes at the thought) which was
waterside-growing, and had male fruits as an alder does, but the leaves
were heart shaped (like lilac) and not the usual beech/elm like leaves that
I expected.
Ideas? No photo until next Monday.

Italian Alder Alnus cordata?

Jim S 10-08-2011 01:32 PM

Alder or not?

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:31:02 +0100, Neil Jones wrote:

On 10/08/2011 12:21, Jim S wrote:
Passed a tree (brings tears to my eyes at the thought) which was
waterside-growing, and had male fruits as an alder does, but the leaves
were heart shaped (like lilac) and not the usual beech/elm like leaves that
I expected.
Ideas? No photo until next Monday.

Italian Alder Alnus cordata?

Looks good. Thanks