GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   East & West Fruit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199309-east-west-fruit.html)

NT 12-08-2011 10:53 PM

East & West Fruit

I'm looking for plants for east & west facing walls in a sheltered
garden in the south east. Must produce food, must be perennials, low
maintenance required as they may get ignored at times, and the more
the yield the better. Available space per planting position is around
6-7' high, varying from 2-15' wide, and 1-1.5 feet deep. Fruit would
be first choice, other options are a perhaps. Any suggestions?

thank you
NT

Mike Lyle[_1_] 13-08-2011 07:00 PM

East & West Fruit

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:53:03 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

I'm looking for plants for east & west facing walls in a sheltered
garden in the south east. Must produce food, must be perennials, low
maintenance required as they may get ignored at times, and the more
the yield the better. Available space per planting position is around
6-7' high, varying from 2-15' wide, and 1-1.5 feet deep. Fruit would
be first choice, other options are a perhaps. Any suggestions?

On my east-facing fence I've got raspberries and a couple of brambles,
on wires. Then, my bed being wider than yours, come rhubarb and red
and white currants, and various ornamentals: but you've probably got
room for chives as an edging, mint in a bottomless bucket* , and a few
lavenders and rosemaries --these are all low-maintenance. A bit bleak
in the colder months, but a strip only a foot or eighteen inches wide
is a challenge.

On the west-facing fence I planted a Siegerrebe grape vine this year.

*which, if you're like me, will duly die. If so, do NOT be like me and
plant some more in the open ground: on this at least, the books are
not fibbing, as it will take over.

--
Mike.