Old 14-08-2011, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Standards

I wonder if anyone has experience of looking after standard shrubs. We
are considering getting a pair of 1/2 standard bay (Laurus Nobilis) or
something similar. They would be planted in containers in a ESE
facing location that is relatively sheltered. Given that we are in S
Devon there should not be much in the way of problems with frost.

rbel
Old 14-08-2011, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , rbel wrote:

I wonder if anyone has experience of looking after standard shrubs. We
are considering getting a pair of 1/2 standard bay (Laurus Nobilis) or
something similar. They would be planted in containers in a ESE
facing location that is relatively sheltered. Given that we are in S
Devon there should not be much in the way of problems with frost.

You need LARGE containers and good drainage, but otherwise that
is a fairly common way of growing bay. You could underplant with
thyme or similar, if you want to. Don't let them dessicate, but
bay doesn't mind drying out to a moderate extent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-08-2011, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article , rbel wrote:

I wonder if anyone has experience of looking after standard shrubs. We
are considering getting a pair of 1/2 standard bay (Laurus Nobilis) or
something similar. They would be planted in containers in a ESE
facing location that is relatively sheltered. Given that we are in S
Devon there should not be much in the way of problems with frost.

You need LARGE containers and good drainage, but otherwise that
is a fairly common way of growing bay. You could underplant with
thyme or similar, if you want to. Don't let them dessicate, but
bay doesn't mind drying out to a moderate extent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bay grows like a weed in our garden and we are forever pulling self setters
and dumping them on the compost. I have this morning, and over the last
couple of weeks pruning the Bay Hedges back severely and shredding it for
the compost.

Question. How difficult would it be to take a seedling and train it to a
Standard? Seems easy to me, but no doubt someone will tell me that it is a
hard job and needs years of experience

Mike

Old 14-08-2011, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 16:55:52 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , rbel says...

I wonder if anyone has experience of looking after standard shrubs. We
are considering getting a pair of 1/2 standard bay (Laurus Nobilis) or
something similar. They would be planted in containers in a ESE
facing location that is relatively sheltered. Given that we are in S
Devon there should not be much in the way of problems with frost.

If you're near the coast or moors you may find high winds a problem;
standard evergreens would be very top-heavy in winter storms.

We are near the coast but the proposed location is protected by the
bungalow and trees.

rbel
Old 14-08-2011, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , rbel wrote:

I wonder if anyone has experience of looking after standard shrubs. We
are considering getting a pair of 1/2 standard bay (Laurus Nobilis) or
something similar. They would be planted in containers in a ESE
facing location that is relatively sheltered. Given that we are in S
Devon there should not be much in the way of problems with frost.

You need LARGE containers and good drainage, but otherwise that
is a fairly common way of growing bay. You could underplant with
thyme or similar, if you want to. Don't let them dessicate, but
bay doesn't mind drying out to a moderate extent.

Given that we are considering 1/2 standards rather than full standards
we had thought of using 50 cms planters filled with a mix of JI 3 and
grit. I like the idea of underplanting with thyme.

That sounds plausible, but you needn't have a very gritty mixture;
just as long as it drains. 50 cm planters are right sods if you
have to move them, so they count as pretty large!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.