GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mystery shrub (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199335-mystery-shrub.html)

Laura Corin 15-08-2011 06:58 PM

Mystery shrub

Can anyone identify this shrub for me please, planted by the previous owners? It's growing in full sun in a very windy location, and stands about four feet tall. It's just going over now (in lowland Scotland).

https://picasaweb.google.com/Laurapu...eat=directlink

Many thanks

Laura

Granity 15-08-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura Corin (Post 933059)
Can anyone identify this shrub for me please, planted by the previous owners? It's growing in full sun in a very windy location, and stands about four feet tall. It's just going over now (in lowland Scotland).

https://picasaweb.google.com/Laurapu...eat=directlink

Many thanks

Laura

Sorry but you need to repair the link as I get is:

"Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact the owner directly to gain access."

Bob Hobden[_3_] 15-08-2011 10:57 PM

Mystery shrub

"Laura Corin" wrote

Can anyone identify this shrub for me please, planted by the previous
owners? It's growing in full sun in a very windy location, and stands
about four feet tall. It's just going over now (in lowland Scotland).

http://tinyurl.com/3smp5dd

Many thanks

Could not see a shrub only the "Laura in China" collection of photos after a
bit of trying.
Either the link is wrong or you haven't made the photo "public".

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Pam Moore[_2_] 15-08-2011 11:04 PM

Mystery shrub

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:27:13 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:00:03 +0000, Granity
wrote:

Laura Corin;933059 Wrote:
Can anyone identify this shrub for me please, planted by the previous
owners? It's growing in full sun in a very windy location, and stands
about four feet tall. It's just going over now (in lowland Scotland).

http://tinyurl.com/3smp5dd

Many thanks

Laura

Sorry but you need to repair the link as I get is:

"Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to
these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact
the owner directly to gain access."

Same here!

Me too

Pam in Bristol

Laura Corin 16-08-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Pam Moore[_2_
Me too

Pam in Bristol

Sorry - I hope this works this time. Apologies.

CT 16-08-2011 08:40 AM

Mystery shrub

Bob Hobden wrote:

Could not see a shrub only the "Laura in China" collection of photos
after a bit of trying. Either the link is wrong or you haven't made
the photo "public".

I can see the pics in the album 'Mystery shrub, Fife' but I don't know
what it is. So probably something really well known!

--
Chris

Ellis Morgan 16-08-2011 08:45 AM

Mystery shrub

In article , Granity
writes

Laura Corin;933059 Wrote:
Can anyone identify this shrub for me please, planted by the previous
owners? It's growing in full sun in a very windy location, and stands
about four feet tall. It's just going over now (in lowland Scotland).

http://tinyurl.com/3smp5dd

Many thanks

Laura

Sorry but you need to repair the link as I get is:

"Oops... there's nothing to see here. Either you do not have access to
these photos, or they don't exist at this web address. Please contact
the owner directly to gain access."

no trouble viewing it here, the full link is
https://picasaweb.google.com/1018997...hrubFife?authu
ser=0&feat=directlink#5641140310704133170

It is called "mystery shrub, fife" and is indeed under "Laura in china",

I have one very similar, but like Laura did not plant it so I hope
someone who can see the picture will tell us what it is.
--
Ellis Morgan

Dave Hill 16-08-2011 08:57 AM

Mystery shrub

On Aug 16, 8:40*am, "CT" wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Could not see a shrub only the "Laura in China" collection of photos
after a bit of trying. *Either the link is wrong or you haven't made
the photo "public".

I can see the pics in the album 'Mystery shrub, Fife' but I don't know
what it is. *So probably something really well known!

--
Chris

No problem with the pictures, Looks like some form of Spirea

Stewart Robert Hinsley 16-08-2011 09:39 AM

Mystery shrub

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On Aug 16, 8:40*am, "CT" wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Could not see a shrub only the "Laura in China" collection of photos
after a bit of trying. *Either the link is wrong or you haven't made
the photo "public".

I can see the pics in the album 'Mystery shrub, Fife' but I don't know
what it is. *So probably something really well known!

--
Chris

No problem with the pictures, Looks like some form of Spirea

One of the Spiraea salicifolia group - I need more practice with them,
but I'll point at Spiraea x rosalba (S. alba x douglasii).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

echinosum 16-08-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] (Post 933139)
Might be Clethra alnifolia? The pepper bush.

Nope. Spiraea.

Pam Moore[_2_] 16-08-2011 01:49 PM

Mystery shrub

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:39:33 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On Aug 16, 8:40*am, "CT" wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Could not see a shrub only the "Laura in China" collection of photos
after a bit of trying. *Either the link is wrong or you haven't made
the photo "public".

I can see the pics in the album 'Mystery shrub, Fife' but I don't know
what it is. *So probably something really well known!

--
Chris

No problem with the pictures, Looks like some form of Spirea

One of the Spiraea salicifolia group - I need more practice with them,
but I'll point at Spiraea x rosalba (S. alba x douglasii).

Fascinating ID, Stewart.
When I saw the first picture I thought of salix reticulata, but when I
saw the flowers I thought spirea, as Dave did. I did not even know
there is a spiraea salicifolia. Interesting.

Pam in Bristol

Stewart Robert Hinsley 16-08-2011 02:13 PM

Mystery shrub

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:39:33 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On Aug 16, 8:40*am, "CT" wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
Could not see a shrub only the "Laura in China" collection of photos
after a bit of trying. *Either the link is wrong or you haven't made
the photo "public".

I can see the pics in the album 'Mystery shrub, Fife' but I don't know
what it is. *So probably something really well known!

--
Chris

No problem with the pictures, Looks like some form of Spirea

One of the Spiraea salicifolia group - I need more practice with them,
but I'll point at Spiraea x rosalba (S. alba x douglasii).

Fascinating ID, Stewart.
When I saw the first picture I thought of salix reticulata, but when I
saw the flowers I thought spirea, as Dave did. I did not even know
there is a spiraea salicifolia. Interesting.

They've gone wild in parts of the country. They're suckering plants
which form extensive colonies. I don't know how to judge whether
colonies originated from seed or from throwouts.

At one point they were mostly recorded as Spiraea salicifolia, but it
has since been realised that 4 species (one with two subspecies) and 3
hybrids are present.

The species are Spiraea salicifolia, Spiraea alba, Spiraea douglasii and
Spiraea tomentsoa, and the hybrids Spiraea x billardii, Spiraea x
pseudosalicifolia and Spiraea x rosalba.

Pam in Bristol

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Laura Corin 16-08-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley (Post 933138)
No problem with the pictures, Looks like some form of Spirea[/i][/color]

One of the Spiraea salicifolia group - I need more practice with them,
but I'll point at Spiraea x rosalba (S. alba x douglasii).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thanks! Spiraea x rosalba looks like a close match.

Laura

Christina Websell 21-08-2011 01:57 AM

Mystery shrub

"Sacha" wrote in message
is indeed under "Laura in china",

Might be Clethra alnifolia? The pepper bush.
--
Sacha

I agree that is a likely candidate.
I was able to see the first link OK.