GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Repairing a split in a plastic water butt... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199389-repairing-split-plastic-water-butt.html)

AL_n 19-08-2011 12:00 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

If one finds a split in a standard modern plastic water butt, as typically
found at B&Q and every garden centre, what is the best way to repair it? I
suspect the plastic is polypropelene, but I may be wrong. I wondered about
using a hot soldering iron to melt the plastc together, over the split, or
would it be better to use that black mastic gutter sealant stuff sold in
tubes for mastic-gun application? Which would make the strongest most
durable repair?

TIA,

Al

'Mike'[_4_] 19-08-2011 12:08 PM

"AL_n" wrote in message
If one finds a split in a standard modern plastic water butt, as typically
found at B&Q and every garden centre, what is the best way to repair it? I
suspect the plastic is polypropelene, but I may be wrong. I wondered about
using a hot soldering iron to melt the plastc together, over the split, or
would it be better to use that black mastic gutter sealant stuff sold in
tubes for mastic-gun application? Which would make the strongest most
durable repair?

TIA,

Al

I had one split right in the bottom. I gave it a good layer of mastic and
stuck roofing felt on it and coated that as well. The theory being that the
mastic would seal the crack, the roofing felt further protect it and the
weight of water force the roofing felt down.

It failed and I ditched the butt. They are so cheap it's easier to replace
it.

Mike

Baz[_3_] 19-08-2011 01:09 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

"AL_n" wrote in
:

If one finds a split in a standard modern plastic water butt, as
typically found at B&Q and every garden centre, what is the best way
to repair it? I suspect the plastic is polypropelene, but I may be
wrong. I wondered about using a hot soldering iron to melt the plastc
together, over the split, or would it be better to use that black
mastic gutter sealant stuff sold in tubes for mastic-gun application?
Which would make the strongest most durable repair?

TIA,

Al

Generally, a moulded plastic structure, intended to be watertight, cannot
be repaired economically to remain so.

If this was bought to retain water, and it has failed (for it's intended
purpose) I would take it up with the retailer.

I would always reccommend buying gardening equipment from a builders
merchant. NOT Screwfix, NOT B&Q, NOT Plumbcenter but a propper builders
merchant, where professional builders get their kit and supplies from. It
may cost a bit more, often not, but it will last far, far, beyond anything
from a D.I.Y. store.

Buy cheap buy twice or thrice, as the saying goes, and today it is
absolutely true.

Baz

'Mike'[_4_] 19-08-2011 01:46 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

"Baz" wrote in message
"AL_n" wrote in
:

[...]

Interesting analogy there, which of course I agree with, because the 5 water
butts lined up behind the garage and shed which are all linked, are ex Fruit
Juice or Syrup barrels

Mike

AL_n 19-08-2011 03:08 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Interesting analogy there, which of course I agree with, because the 5
water butts lined up behind the garage and shed which are all linked,
are ex Fruit Juice or Syrup barrels

Mike

Thanks to all for the input. I affected a repair using a soldering iron to
melt the plastic together. I'll wager that if it splits agin, it won't be
in the same place.

Al

Wally[_3_] 19-08-2011 04:01 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

"AL_n" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Interesting analogy there, which of course I agree with, because the 5
water butts lined up behind the garage and shed which are all linked,
are ex Fruit Juice or Syrup barrels

Mike

Thanks to all for the input. I affected a repair using a soldering iron to
melt the plastic together. I'll wager that if it splits agin, it won't be
in the same place.

Al

Now that you have melted it together it might be worth reinforcing it
with a hot glue gun, just to make sure.

Wally

Dave Hill 19-08-2011 04:11 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

On Aug 19, 3:01*pm, "Wally" wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Interesting analogy there, which of course I agree with, because the 5
water butts lined up behind the garage and shed which are all linked,
are ex Fruit Juice or Syrup barrels

Mike

Thanks to all for the input. I affected a repair using a soldering iron to
melt the plastic together. I'll wager that if it splits agin, it won't be
in the same place.

Al

Now that you have melted it together it might be worth reinforcing it
with a hot glue gun, just to make sure.

Wally- Hide quoted text -

Just remember to make the repairs, patches on the inside.

Baz[_3_] 19-08-2011 06:49 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

Dave Hill wrote in
:

On Aug 19, 3:01*pm, "Wally" wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Interesting analogy there, which of course I agree with, because
the 5 water butts lined up behind the garage and shed which are
all linked, are ex Fruit Juice or Syrup barrels

Mike

Thanks to all for the input. I affected a repair using a soldering
iron

melt the plastic together. I'll wager that if it splits agin, it
won't

be
in the same place.

Al

Now that you have melted it together it might be worth reinforcing it
with a hot glue gun, just to make sure.

Wally- Hide quoted text -

Just remember to make the repairs, patches on the inside.

You are all going to die of ignorance! Make a moulded tank watertight!

Just see.

Baz

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 19-08-2011 07:15 PM

On 19 Aug 2011 10:00:23 GMT, AL_n wrote:

If one finds a split in a standard modern plastic water butt,

Grrr,, don't multipost, crosspost. You now have two seperate threads
all with variations of answers instead just one single thread with
all contributions.

--
Cheers
Dave.

'Mike'[_4_] 19-08-2011 07:45 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

--

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On 19 Aug 2011 10:00:23 GMT, AL_n wrote:

If one finds a split in a standard modern plastic water butt,

Grrr,, don't multipost, crosspost. You now have two seperate threads
all with variations of answers instead just one single thread with
all contributions.

--
Cheers
Dave.

???????????????????????????????

What you on about?

I have one thread and no crossposts

Mike

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 19-08-2011 08:10 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:45:26 +0100, Mike wrote:

Grrr,, don't multipost, crosspost. You now have two seperate

threads
all with variations of answers instead just one single thread with
all contributions.

???????????????????????????????

What you on about?

I have one thread and no crossposts

You aren't in uk.d-i-y then... The same orginal post (may even be
verbatim) appeared in there. Hence there are now two seperate
threads, in different newsgroups, answering the same question.

--
Cheers
Dave.

'Mike'[_4_] 19-08-2011 08:21 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:45:26 +0100, Mike wrote:

Grrr,, don't multipost, crosspost. You now have two seperate

threads
all with variations of answers instead just one single thread with
all contributions.

???????????????????????????????

What you on about?

I have one thread and no crossposts

You aren't in uk.d-i-y then... The same orginal post (may even be
verbatim) appeared in there. Hence there are now two seperate
threads, in different newsgroups, answering the same question.

--
Cheers
Dave.

urg only

diy doesn't appear

Mike

Martin Brown 19-08-2011 09:35 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

On 19/08/2011 12:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
wrote in
:

[...]

I have mended dodgy bins to store water that were smashed around by
builders at a neighbours and then rescued from their skip. The ones with
major chunks missing are fit only for composting leaf mould, but minor
cracks can be sealed using butyl pond liner offcuts and a suitable
adhesive applied on the inside. They will fail eventually.

Roughen the surface to get a good key and make sure everything is
perfectly dry. I suspect that the least bad cheap and easy option is
Bostik clear although there are better adhesives which will soften
polypropelene and cause the crack to heal. Leave for at least a week to
cure. You want a thin layer a couple of inches of material in every
direction around the crack and no air bubbles. Like mending an oversize
bike tyre.

The problem here is more that the right adhesives with exotic solvents
(sold in bulk) could cost more than the replacement water butt.

Regards,
Martin Brown

AL_n 20-08-2011 02:01 PM

Repairing a split in a plastic water butt...

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

If one finds a split in a standard modern plastic water butt,

Grrr,, don't multipost, crosspost. You now have two seperate threads
all with variations of answers instead just one single thread with
all contributions.

Quit moaning - there were different solutions and suggestions in each
thread (as I anticipated) due to the different set of people replying.

Al