GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   cordyline palm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199424-cordyline-palm.html)

silvery 22-08-2011 03:13 PM

cordyline palm

I think that's what it is. It seemed to die in the cold of last year. I had it cut down, I thought it was a bit of an eyesore anyway. But now it appears to be re-growing. It's too close to the house, so how can I get rid of it?

Would appreciate any tips.

echinosum 22-08-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvery (Post 933694)
I think that's what it is. It seemed to die in the cold of last year. I had it cut down, I thought it was a bit of an eyesore anyway. But now it appears to be re-growing. It's too close to the house, so how can I get rid of it?

Would appreciate any tips.

From your description, it probably is a cordyline. If they get damaged by cold in two successive winters, often they don't regrow. So if you cut off the new shoots as they are formed, it will probably give up before very long. I'd try that for a bit before wasting chemicals on it. As an aside, cordylines aren't palms, they are more closely related to things like yuccas, agaves, asparagus and bluebells.

silvery 22-08-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hogg (Post 933735)
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:13:46 +0000, silvery
wrote:

I think that's what it is. It seemed to die in the cold of last year.
I had it cut down, I thought it was a bit of an eyesore anyway. But
now it appears to be re-growing. It's too close to the house, so how
can I get rid of it?

Would appreciate any tips.

Many cordylines were killed down to ground level by last winter's
cold, but they often shoot again from the root which remained alive in
the soil. If you want to get rid of it completely, wait until the
shoot or shoots reach say 6 - 8 inches tall, and rip them out by
taking hold of them and pulling outwards away from the stump and
upwards. It only takes a few seconds. More shoots may appear in due
course, but do the same again and after a couple of cycles the root
will become so weakened it will give up.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

They've got a bit bigger than that, say about 15 inches, but I'll pull them out anyway. And thanks for the replies and the advice.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 23-08-2011 08:28 AM

cordyline palm

On 22/08/2011 15:13, silvery wrote:
I think that's what it is. It seemed to die in the cold of last year.
I had it cut down, I thought it was a bit of an eyesore anyway. But
now it appears to be re-growing. It's too close to the house, so how
can I get rid of it?

Would appreciate any tips.

Info he
http://www.landscapejuicenetwork.com...line-australis

I tried to remove a 1.5 m plant once. Its deep root was in the heavy
clay and ironstone subsoil about 25 cm below the surface. I broke it
off at that depth and replanted the trunk, which fortunately still had
some fibrous roots, and took. A couple of years later I was surprised
to see new shoots from the old site! I guess that the broken-off root
was still viable.

--

Jeff