Old 28-08-2011, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:42:14 +0100
"Dave East" wrote:

Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would
be it be a waste of time?

Finally! A use for those spare windfarm fans!

R.

Old 28-08-2011, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

Peter
--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 28-08-2011, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter James wrote:
One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your
life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

Of course not. Just that the link between passive smoking and lung disease
is far more difficult to prove.

You seem to think Roy Castle proves it. Despite his death being many years
ago. Where are all the other famous people so afflicted?

If one does you, I had a neighbour who worked in pubs and clubs all his
life, and didn't smoke. He didn't die of cancer or any other smoking
related disease - and at a ripe old age.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Old 28-08-2011, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 10:20, Peter James wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article1k6pbn0.zrjw1i1dikjd4N%pfjames2000@googlem ail.com,
Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

Peter

One of my brothers in law did not smoke. He was a professional guitar
player. He died from lung cancer in his fifties after playing in
countless smoky places.

Old 28-08-2011, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 08:33, Peter James wrote:
The Medway wrote:

On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.

Many non smokers die from lung cancer.

Old 28-08-2011, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

There is conclusive evidence to link active smoking with lung cancer.
Passive smoking is however a myth.

Old 28-08-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
[...]

How many non smoking professional guitar players didn't die of lung cancer?

Old 28-08-2011, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-27, David wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Nope.

It is well documented that Roy Castle did die of passive smoking, but if
you are simply going to contradict anyone who doesn't agree with you

Which he will. There's no point in arguing with junkies.

No point in arguing with anyone if you don't know the facts.

Old 28-08-2011, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Sacha wrote:

There's no point in arguing about this at all. The OP finds the smoke
offensive and wants ideas to be rid of it. Why is not the issue.

I find fat stupid people offensive. And total vegetarian snobs. What is
the best method of blowing them away?

Old 28-08-2011, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

There is conclusive evidence to link active smoking with lung cancer.
Passive smoking is however a myth.

I think that this will be my last posting on this subject. There's none
so bllind as those who will not see!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11844169

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Smok...e-Smoking).htm

http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/passive-smoking.php

http://bookshop.rcplondon.ac.uk/details.aspx?e=305

Old 28-08-2011, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Dave East" wrote in message
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Try it. I wish my new neighbours would just smoke rather than only occupy
their house when they are going to have a huge party. A car blocked me in,
and I asked them to move (this was at 9a.m. and he said he would only be
there for a few minutes, so I agreed ok) It was there until 7 pm. and
there were people spilling into the street talking at the top of their
voices all day.
This is a quiet area, this is the 2nd noisy party in a few weeks. They will
not fit in if they continue.
They do not even seem to be living there, just using it for parties.
It drives me wild.
Tina

Old 28-08-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

http://www.forestonline.org/info/passive-smoking/

Old 28-08-2011, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Jon" wrote in message

Very true - there are a lot of myths about smoking, perpetuated by those
with an agenda and propagated by those who slavishly believe whatever
they're told.

Mostly by the addicts.

For a more balanced view on the subject, the singer Joe Jackson decided to
look into REAL facts regarding smoking and wrote "Smoke Lies, and the
Nanny State"

Addicts and their suppliers always like to look at studies and ignore those
that don't agree with their findings.
remember how many decades the smoking lobby told everyone that smoking
didn't harm the addicts?
remember how many decades the smoking lobby claimed smoking was not
addictive.
Now they claim passive smoking does no harm.

You just can't trust the smoking industry or the addicts, they lie, they lie
lots.

There is no way an addict will admit that he has helped to kill someone and
they will cling on to any sliver of evidence to say they didn't, such is
life and death.

Its pointless arguing with addicts until they are cured.

It can be downloaded here as a doc or PDF file:

Jon

Old 28-08-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Smok...hers-(Passive-

Smoking).htm

http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/passive-smoking.php

http://bookshop.rcplondon.ac.uk/details.aspx?e=305