Old 29-08-2011, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old 29-08-2011, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 21:43, Interloper wrote:
Having analysed the various passive smoking arguments, "Keith" made the
following contribution to the discussion:

I believe that you are a ****wit. Is that good enough for you?

Rather like 'TMH', if the best you can come up with is a personal insult,
then you have lost the argument.

When you have an IQ lower than your shoe size, it's usually best to keep
quiet.

Your stupidity is simply astounding.

Firstly you say "Rather like 'TMH', if the best you can come up with is
a personal insult, then you have lost the argument".

Followed by "When you have an IQ lower than your shoe size, it's usually
best to keep quiet".

So you have just lost the argument.

Please examine your feet for bullet wounds.
Old 29-08-2011, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
SS SS is offline

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Dave East" wrote in message
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it
on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it
be a waste of time?

Try it. I wish my new neighbours would just smoke rather than only occupy
their house when they are going to have a huge party. A car blocked me
in, and I asked them to move (this was at 9a.m. and he said he would only
be there for a few minutes, so I agreed ok) It was there until 7 pm.
and there were people spilling into the street talking at the top of their
voices all day.
This is a quiet area, this is the 2nd noisy party in a few weeks. They
will not fit in if they continue.
They do not even seem to be living there, just using it for parties.
It drives me wild.
Tina

Looking at this from my viewpoint as a smoker.
If my neighbours objected to me smoking in my garden I doubt if I would do
much about it as I never smoke in the house as I (yip) hate the smell.
I also wont smoke in front of non smokers restuarants etc. I would probably
smoke at a point further away from the boundry if they approached me in a
mannerable way.
My neighbours have frequent BBQs which I hate (the smoke/smell) but as its
only once or twice a week I just ignore.
If a neighbour uses a lot of garlic in food I have major issues as I react
badly to the smell, so I hide indoors.
Point is we live in close proximity and have to put up with some annoyances,
as long as they are not major.
Hell we could have a lot worse, I know I have. we are unlikely to have the
perfect world/surroundings unless we have the wealth to buy it.

Old 29-08-2011, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

That's because the pubs never catered for the non smokers and they all went
elsewhere.
They lost the best part of a generation of customers who don't see any
reason to go to the pub now.
There are plenty of other places that did cater for non smokers that have a
growing customer base.
In this world its adapt or go bust.

Old 29-08-2011, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 18:57, dennis@home wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message

Very true - there are a lot of myths about smoking, perpetuated by
those with an agenda and propagated by those who slavishly believe
whatever they're told.

Mostly by the addicts.

For a more balanced view on the subject, the singer Joe Jackson
decided to look into REAL facts regarding smoking and wrote "Smoke
Lies, and the Nanny State"

Hello Dennipoos.

You are well known around here for being a thick ****. This does
nothing to avoid that opinion.

Addicts and their suppliers always like to look at studies and ignore
those that don't agree with their findings.

The anti smoking fascists do exactly that. Any study refuting the
passive smoking myth are suppressed and never published - and they are
legion & many fold.

remember how many decades the smoking lobby told everyone that smoking
didn't harm the addicts?

Remember how the ASF spent years trying to denigrate smokers?

remember how many decades the smoking lobby claimed smoking was not
addictive.

You are going to have to provide some evidence for that.

Now they claim passive smoking does no harm.

You just can't trust the smoking industry or the addicts, they lie, they
lie lots.

Nothing like the anti smoking lobby. When it comes to lies, false
information & fudged reports they are in a league of their own.

Perhaps you would like to check out the well known anti smoking charity
Action on Smoking & Health?

Let me know when you do, we can talk about funding & lying.

There is no way an addict will admit that he has helped to kill someone
and they will cling on to any sliver of evidence to say they didn't,
such is life and death.

There is no way a small minded idiot like you would ever develop the
intellectual capacity to think for himself.

Its pointless arguing with addicts until they are cured.

Its pointless arguing with thick ****s like you.

Old 29-08-2011, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 28 Aug,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Farting serves a useful purpose?

Try going a week without a fart. You'll find the reason!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Old 29-08-2011, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 18:58, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:39:10 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/08/2011 15:15, Peter James wrote:
The Medway wrote:

On 28/08/2011 10:20, Peter James wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article1k6pbn0.zrjw1i1dikjd4N%pfjames2000@googlem ail.com,
Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere
in the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he
worked in and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all
your life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies
assertion that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung
disease?

There is conclusive evidence to link active smoking with lung cancer.
Passive smoking is however a myth.
I think that this will be my last posting on this subject. There's
none so bllind as those who will not see!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11844169

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Smok...hers-(Passive-

Smoking).htm

http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/passive-smoking.php

http://bookshop.rcplondon.ac.uk/details.aspx?e=305

Peter

http://www.forestonline.org/info/passive-smoking/

MRD.

MRD Minimum Required Distribution (qualified retirement plans and IRAs)
MRD Metal Raiders (Yu-Gi-Oh cards)
MRD Ministry of Rural Development (various countries)
MRD Marine Resources Division (various states)
MRD Marketing Requirements Document
MRD Market Requirements Document
MRD Movement for the Restoration of Democracy (Pakistan)
MRD Machine-Readable Dictionary
MRD Matched Related Donor
MRD Mirrodin (game)
MRD Mission Requirements Document
MRD Motorized Rifle Division
MRD Mandatory Removal Date (from military service)
MRD Minimum Residual Disease
MRD Mandatory Retirement Date
MRD Merida, Venezuela - Alberto Carnevalli (Airport Code)
MRD Manual Ring-Down
MRD Mandatory Release Date
MRD Multicystic Renal Dysplasia
MRD Marginal Reflex Distance
MRD Manufacturing, Retail & Distribution
MRD Marketing Research Department
MRD Maximum Rank Distance
MRD Material Required Date
MRD Multicast Routing Debugger
MRD Master Requirements Directory
MRD Materiel Release Denial
MRD Mobile Receive Diversity
MRD Maintenance Requirements Determination (Australian government)
MRD Multi-Resolution Decomposition
MRD Memorandum for Regional Directors (DCAA)
MRD Maximum Relative Density (asphalt)
MRD Maximum Release Date
MRD Minimum Rank Distance
MRD Minimum Reacting Dose
MRD Maintenance Requirements Document
MRD Material Requirements Data
MRD Marine Design Center
MRD Milestone Review Document
MRD Materiel Requirements Document
MRD Military Requirements Determination
MRD Materiel Redistribution Division
MRD Maintenance Reference Documentation
MRD Management Resource Database (public defenders database)
MRD Master Requirements Document
MRD US Army Corps of Engineers, Missouri River Division
MRD Material Receipt Date
MRD Market Release Date
MRD Material Release Document
MRD Myst, Riven and D'ni (game series)
MRD Medical Renal Diseases

???????

Old 29-08-2011, 01:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-28, The Medway wrote:

http://www.forestonline.org/info/passive-smoking/

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha[gasp]hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So, because Forest doesn't support your bias, you denigtare the evidence?

Would you perhaps, in your unbiased view, believe what Action on Smoking
& Health said?

Old 29-08-2011, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.
in the other case they are taking away your freedom.

What about the freedom of smokers to go into smoke filled rooms?

Or is 'freedom' a one way street?

Old 29-08-2011, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 21:07, dennis@home wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article , Peter
James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere
in the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked
in and where smoking was rampant. For further information see the
following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your
life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.

not if your job depends on it.

That's why we have a smoking ban, you can't go into smoke filled rooms
because of your job anymore.

No, we have a smoking ban because a fanatical group of anti smokers,
backed up by the lobbying of multi national drug companies, forced it
through.

Its undemocratic & basd on false evidence.

Old 29-08-2011, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 22:14, Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 21:07:19 +0100, "ARWadsworth"

wrote in message

Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he
worked in and where smoking was rampant. For further information
see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all
your life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.

not if your job depends on it.

That's why we have a smoking ban, you can't go into smoke filled rooms
because of your job anymore.

Well that's the firemen out of a job.

No. They wear breathing apparatus. Rather difficult for performers to
do that.

You miss the point. Could you perhaps list the non smoking performers
who haven't died from alleged 'passive smoking' in, say, the last 20 years?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Old 29-08-2011, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Roy Castle?

Alas not. Lung cancer yes. 10% of lung cancer deaths occur in non smokers.

Most of the people I know who don't want anyone smoking near them are
not overly concerned about passive smoking, they just can't stand the
odour, the sore eyes, the sore throat and the smelly clothes they end up
with from being around smokers.

An entirely reasonable view.

I have no wish to inflict the by products of smoking on others.

Equally, I can't see why non smokers should inflict their views on smokers.

As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away! It's a foul odour that travels considerable distances.

As are many things, but we don't ban cheap perfume, body odour, farting,
fried onions, McDonalds, diesel fuel, rape seed etc.

My wife is an ex-smoker (she promised her father a month before he was
diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and other than one lapse, she has
stuck to it), she frequently comments that she's amazed how she could
ever have smoked, as she too can't stand the smell.

I personally love the smell of secondhand smoke YMMY.

During the summer when it is hot we naturally like our patio door and
windows open to get a breeze. At night we sleep with our bedroom window
open. Our neighbours have a young child so they go outside to smoke and
we end up suffering their smoke. We either have to put up with it or
close the windows and struggle to sleep 'cos of the heat.

Interesting point that. Smoking has been deliberately demonised over
the years to the point of stupdity. Were it not for that, your
neighbours would smoke indoors with no adverse affects to their child,
in fact, according to many (supressed) studies, it would promote a
resistance to smoking related illness..

The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

The selfessness of non smokers amazes me. I'd suppot 'smoking' and 'non
smoking' areas. Majority rule?

My youngest daughter doesn't smoke. When she goes out with her mates,
most of them disappear outside for a fag & leave her on her own. Now
she goes out with them.

Secondly, every time one of the smokers tried to give up, the others
would smoke in front of them and each time they lit up, they'd offer
them one - as if they couldn't stand letting one get away!

However, I do think that the coucils that are trying to ban smokers from
lighting up in the street, parks, etc. are going too far; similarly with
the existing ban on smoking in company vehicles; and also the hospitals
and companies that ban employees from smoking in their own cars in their
car-parks.

Thank you for a reasoned view. :-)

Old 29-08-2011, 01:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 22:59, R D S wrote:
On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it
be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

I had some respect for you up to that point.

You appear to be confusing me with someone who cares what you think.

Old 29-08-2011, 01:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
[...]

I believe that there is link, but I also believe that the increased risk
is probably low enough for me to ignore. I cannot however ignore the
awful smell, the affect on my eyes and my throat or the smell on my
clothes and my hair the next morning.

As a heavy smoker I can appreciate that.

For two and a half years I was suffering from asthma (still do of
course) and pulmonary sarcoidosis (declared clear just over a year ago),
yet "friends" still insisted on smoking around me.

TBF Steve, you need to address your 'friends' attitude.

Old 29-08-2011, 02:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:45, dennis@home wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

That was when most people didn't think smoking harmed them.
Now the sensible ones have realised the truth and stopped.

The ones that continue also don't believe smoking harms others.

That would be because there is no credible evidence to support that view.

Not really surprising as there are a lot of fools about.

You being their undisputed king ****wit.