Old 29-08-2011, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 28/08/2011 23:45, dennis@home wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

That was when most people didn't think smoking harmed them.
Now the sensible ones have realised the truth and stopped.

The ones that continue also don't believe smoking harms others.

That would be because there is no credible evidence to support that view.

Not really surprising as there are a lot of fools about.

You being their undisputed king ****wit.

TMH. Get your head out of the sand. You are making yourself look a
complete idiot.
Old 29-08-2011, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2011 00:02, dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

That's because the pubs never catered for the non smokers and they all
went elsewhere.

Sorry ****wit, they wanted to, but pejorative legislation prevented them
from doing so.

They lost the best part of a generation of customers who don't see any
reason to go to the pub now.

Mainly because of the smoking ban idiot.

There are plenty of other places that did cater for non smokers that
have a growing customer base.

No doubt you can name them?

Old 29-08-2011, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Christina Websell wrote:
"Dave East" wrote in message
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Try it. I wish my new neighbours would just smoke rather than only occupy
their house when they are going to have a huge party. A car blocked me in,
and I asked them to move (this was at 9a.m. and he said he would only be
there for a few minutes, so I agreed ok) It was there until 7 pm. and
there were people spilling into the street talking at the top of their
voices all day.
This is a quiet area, this is the 2nd noisy party in a few weeks. They will
not fit in if they continue.
They do not even seem to be living there, just using it for parties.
It drives me wild.
Tina

Ah. You need the TNP secret weapon.

a 100W detuned ex police transmitter coupled to a noise generator.
Obliterates every hifi system within 30 meters.

The ultimate party pooper and, if they have it loud enough, destroys the
woofers as well. No home should be without one.

And they will never know who dunit

Old 29-08-2011, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.
in the other case they are taking away your freedom.

As you would take away theirs.
Old 29-08-2011, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

Nice snipping HWI.

Do you have any comment to make, or do you want to make yourself look a
complete idiot?

Old 29-08-2011, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In ,
Steve wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

Govmint ministers also claimed that, but have very quiet since. I
wonder why?

Old 29-08-2011, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
In ,
Steve wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

Govmint ministers also claimed that, but have very quiet since. I
wonder why?

I smoke. I used to drive. There is no pub within walking distance and I
am too old to cycle and frankly it ain't a worthwile experience to do
the pain bit.

So basically these days I don't go in a pub from one week to the next.

Last time I went was simply to get a decent meal . We sat outside in the
garden and smoked haha.

basically the pub has lost its purpose. We can drink at home cheaper. we
can smoke at home, we can watch the football/rugby/cricket at home. Its
warmer at home. Its not full of ******s at home who sniff disapprovingly
every time you roll a fag. We can take the dogs at home. We can eat for
1/10th the price and better food at home.

I cant afford the diesel and the risk to my license to drive to the pub,
and for what? to see a bunch of tired boring shitheads drinking and
being 'social' while they work out who they can shag tonight?

Or try and impress each other?

Old 29-08-2011, 02:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Roy Castle?

Alas not. Lung cancer yes. 10% of lung cancer deaths occur in non smokers.

Most of the people I know who don't want anyone smoking near them are
not overly concerned about passive smoking, they just can't stand the
odour, the sore eyes, the sore throat and the smelly clothes they end up
with from being around smokers.

An entirely reasonable view.

I have no wish to inflict the by products of smoking on others.

Equally, I can't see why non smokers should inflict their views on smokers.

Because smokers are the ones carrying out an action and inflicting their
smoke on non-smokers, whereas non-smokers simply want them to stop doing
so. We don't care whether you smoke or not, we simply want you not to
inflict that smoke on us. If I kept squirting water around in a pub,
everyone near me would rightly want me to stop, they would however have
no objection to me watering my garden plants, as that wouldn't affect them.

As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away! It's a foul odour that travels considerable distances.

As are many things, but we don't ban cheap perfume, body odour, farting,
fried onions, McDonalds, diesel fuel, rape seed etc.

I certainly wouldn't smell most of those from 30 feet away and those
that I might, are serving useful purposes, except possibly the fried
onions Funnily enough I did some work for a curry factory once - we
installed an odour reduction system, as the smell of onions coming from
their vents was irritating the nearby residents and the council were
threatening to close them down.

My wife is an ex-smoker (she promised her father a month before he was
diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and other than one lapse, she has
stuck to it), she frequently comments that she's amazed how she could
ever have smoked, as she too can't stand the smell.

I personally love the smell of secondhand smoke YMMY.

Your choice, but the difference is that if someone is not smoking, you
wouldn't find the clean air annoying, whereas I would find smoke in the
air annoying.

During the summer when it is hot we naturally like our patio door and
windows open to get a breeze. At night we sleep with our bedroom window
open. Our neighbours have a young child so they go outside to smoke and
we end up suffering their smoke. We either have to put up with it or
close the windows and struggle to sleep 'cos of the heat.

Interesting point that. Smoking has been deliberately demonised over the
years to the point of stupdity. Were it not for that, your neighbours
would smoke indoors with no adverse affects to their child, in fact,
according to many (supressed) studies, it would promote a resistance to
smoking related illness..

Come on! My grandparents were heavy smokers, within weeks of
redecorating their living room, their walls were thick with the
polutants from cigarettes, with clear patches behind the pictures. With
or without evidence, that kind of coating is going to be bad for the
delicate tubes of a childs immature lungs!

The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

The selfessness of non smokers amazes me. I'd suppot 'smoking' and 'non
smoking' areas. Majority rule?

As I've said, it doesn't work, the smokers are too selfish to follow the
wishes of the majority, they just ruin the evening for everyone unless
they get their way. Amongst my various groups of friends (ex school, ex
university, ex work) no group had more than two smokers out of eight to
ten people out for the night, yet everyone ended up stuck in the
smokers' areas. If the non-smokers insisted on sitting in the
non-smoking area, the smokers would reluctantly sit with us and then
moan continually.

My youngest daughter doesn't smoke. When she goes out with her mates,
most of them disappear outside for a fag & leave her on her own. Now she
goes out with them.

In other words, her friends have reached the point where the addiction
is calling and that is more important that staying chatting with her, so
she has to fall in with their wishes or be abandoned.

Secondly, every time one of the smokers tried to give up, the others
would smoke in front of them and each time they lit up, they'd offer
them one - as if they couldn't stand letting one get away!

However, I do think that the coucils that are trying to ban smokers from
lighting up in the street, parks, etc. are going too far; similarly with
the existing ban on smoking in company vehicles; and also the hospitals
and companies that ban employees from smoking in their own cars in their
car-parks.

Thank you for a reasoned view. :-)

I have nothing against people smoking, I just don't want to have to put
up with their smoke.

SteveW
Old 29-08-2011, 04:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Medway
Handyman escribió:

Farting serves a useful purpose?

Considering that it stops you exploding, yes :-)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old 29-08-2011, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
TGH TGH is offline

On 27/08/2011 17:37, 'Mike' wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking whilst in
an office environment.

I would also like to add that the treatment that I received in hospital
recently when I firs,t had a quadruple heart by pass, followed by a LUNG
decortication, was enhanced because I didn't smoke and NEVER HAD SMOKED

Come off your 'I know my rights' high horse. YOU pollute the air I breath. I
don't pollute the air you breath.

We have the same argument with you very selfish polluters on the cruise
ships. I cruise a lot and have to endure you polluting MY balcony.

If you were meant to smoke, you would have been born with a chimney out of
you head.

And Roy Castle, a famous case if I am not mistaken.

TGH
Old 29-08-2011, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 02:04:41 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

I certainly wouldn't smell most of those from 30 feet away and those
that I might, are serving useful purposes, except possibly the fried
onions Funnily enough I did some work for a curry factory once - we
installed an odour reduction system, as the smell of onions coming from
their vents was irritating the nearby residents and the council were
threatening to close them down.

snip
SteveW

Please go and install odour reduction systems on every DeadLucky Fried
Buzzard outlet.

How can they make so much stink? And it hangs around so much.

I don't actually buy any takeaway foods but on the odd occasion that I
have had some chicken, it has been OK. I guess it is something to do with
the pressure cooker/frying technique that makes enough stink to fill
several football pitches (or microWales).

--
Rod
Old 29-08-2011, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

If the wind is in the wrong direction for us we get the smell from 2
Chinese, 1 Indian and 1 Fish and Chip Take Away and now a Chinese
Restaurant/Buffet.

In the other direction in the Summer, Sun Tan Oil from the beach!

and from a neighbour? Cigarette smoke :-((

Mike

Old 29-08-2011, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 6:42 PM, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

The problem, like many problems, is really quite simple to solve if you
use a little thought and technology. Use a gas detector that will react
to nicotine. Like they use in aircraft toilets. Hook it up to a very
loud burglar alarm type siren/bell on the offending neighbour's side of
the house. When their smoke invades your living space the alarm will
sound. And keep on sounding while detecting cigarette smoke. They will
soon find another place to smoke.

We have them in our work areas to stop staff illicitly smoking when not
being observed by management.
Old 29-08-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Astounded from Medway wrote:

Your stupidity is simply astounding.

Firstly you say "Rather like 'TMH', if the best you can come up with is a
personal insult, then you have lost the argument".

Followed by "When you have an IQ lower than your shoe size, it's usually
best to keep quiet".

That was a generalisation, but of course, if the cap fits... !
--
Interloper