Old 28-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Banned

Default Aquaponics in the UK

Hi I'm trying to promote the use of Aquaponic gardening in the UK. The growing of fish and plants together without the use of soil is big in the US and Austrailia but only starting here in the uk. The benefits of aquaponics mean that you don't use fertiliser, pesticides or as much water and the organic food you grow tastes wonderful. Because of the manner in which it is used it opens up gardening to many more people - ie you don't need a back garden.
I'm basically offering up my help if anyone needs sone advice
Old 28-08-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"aquaponicworld" wrote ...

Hi I'm trying to promote the use of Aquaponic gardening in the UK. The
growing of fish and plants together without the use of soil is big in
the US and Austrailia but only starting here in the uk. The benefits of
aquaponics mean that you don't use fertiliser, pesticides or as much
water and the organic food you grow tastes wonderful. Because of the
manner in which it is used it opens up gardening to many more people -
ie you don't need a back garden.
I'm basically offering up my help if anyone needs sone advice

But all the Tomatoes in the supermarkets are grown that way, hydroponically,
and they are watery and tasteless. Whereas ours grown outside in soil are
amazingly solid, tasty and sweet, almost a different fruit completely. So
why would I want to change? Explain the benefits please.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 28-08-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
aquaponicworld

Aha. Sounds interesting. I have a fishpond with koi. You are saying
that I could use the water from the pond for irrigation of my
vegetable&7 top up the pond with tap water?
I can see that might have some benifit. I have problems with green
algea pointing to nutrients in the water.
Old 28-08-2011, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 3:37*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"aquaponicworld" *wrote ...

[...]

The tomatoes in the supermarket are crap because they are picked too
soon in order to prolong shelf life.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 28, 6:50*pm, Janet wrote:
In article 33c936e1-358a-401b-819f-
, says...

wrote:
Hi I'm trying to promote the use of Aquaponic gardening in the UK. The
growing of fish and plants together without the use of soil is big in
the US and Austrailia but only starting here in the uk. The benefits of
aquaponics mean that you don't use fertiliser, pesticides or as much
water and the organic food you grow tastes wonderful. Because of the
manner in which it is used it opens up gardening to many more people -
ie you don't need a back garden.
I'm basically offering up my help if anyone needs sone advice

--
aquaponicworld

Aha. Sounds interesting. *I have a fishpond with koi. You are saying
that I could use the water from the pond for irrigation of my
vegetable&7 top up the pond with tap water?

* No, he's saying you could grow vegetables in the fish pond.

* *Janet- Hide quoted text -

Grow the veg on sheets of polystyrene and let the roots grow down
through holes into the water below

Old 28-08-2011, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

.................................................. .............................

I can picture a row of Runner Beans acting as a sail and the whole assembly
'sailing' across the pond and someone in a boat rowing like mad to catch up
with it to pick beans for dinner ;-}

..

Old 28-08-2011, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

Janet wrote:
haroldhrsays...
aquaponicworld wrote:
[...]

Ah, a spawning mat for the Koi, good idea, not sure what state the roots
will be in after.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-08-2011, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking of those floating vegetable beds they have in Mexico
City, but I don't think that's pure hydroponics.

I can't imagine that fish could survive in water so full of their
excreta as to provide complete nourishment for plants. And what about
the oxygen requirement for both fish and plants? Etc.

Oh, no: cancel the above. Wikipee has an interesting piece at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaponics, but it looks very tricky to
set up and run.

I do hope the OP isn't trying to sell something...

--
Mike.
Old 29-08-2011, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

So do I. But he/she didn't say hydroponics, they said aquaponics.

I breed fish and crayfish and recycle the water through several garden
beds that contain gravel and sand bases. I started with a Permaculture
garden, then converted a full sized swimming pool for Aquaculture
(breeding fish and crayfish). I now cycle that water through the
Permaculture beds (they are in series on a sloping river bank) and back
to the fish pool. It works extremely well. That plus my Vermiculture
output from two large worm beds makes for very nice crop.

It wasn't quick to set up, it has taken me ten years to get it all "fine
tuned".

Commercial Aquaponics Course bristolaqua United Kingdom 0 23-06-2016 10:18 PM
Aquaponics & Geocentric domes for greenhouses Jenn[_2_] Edible Gardening 6 21-09-2014 05:42 PM
Aquaponics aquaponicworld Permaculture 0 25-11-2012 09:51 AM
aquaponics meeee Australia 0 01-11-2006 10:46 AM