Old 29-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered User

Default Dracaena / Dragon Tree problem

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. My Dracaena / Dragon Tree indoor house plant has some white spots on it, I'm not sure if it's a fungus, or eggs of some kind. The white spots when brushed away leave what looks a bit like 'burning' on the leaves (discolouration, to yellow and then to brown depending on length of time).

Leaves at the bottom of the plant are dropping off quickly at the moment, although it does have new growth at the top so I'm not sure if this is its natural growing cycle.

The web suggests that this plant should be relatively easy to care for, problems may be caused by overwatering (=root rot), or 'spider mites', for which I have found the following 'cure':

"The USDA recommends a simple treatment for this pest: Combine one tablespoon of dishwashing detergent and one cup of vegetable oil and mix. Add this mixture to one cup of water in a handheld spray bottle and shake well. Spray the entire plant, including the undersides of leaves."

I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, it's a beautiful plant that otherwise seems healthy, and I don't want to lose it! I attach some pictures that, despite my poor photography skills, hopefully give an indication of the problem!

Thanks,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Dracaena / Dragon Tree problem-dracaena1.jpg   Dracaena / Dragon Tree problem-dracaena2.jpg   Dracaena / Dragon Tree problem-dracaena3.jpg

Help with Dragon Tree houseplant please jackregan Gardening 4 12-02-2008 10:39 PM
Dragon Tree Seed rapdor Australia 0 01-05-2006 10:45 AM
Help with Dragon Tree problems! mbelcher68 Gardening 2 01-11-2005 12:48 PM
Problems with Dracaena marginata (dragon Tree) mbelcher68 Gardening 0 15-10-2005 05:41 PM
Dragon Tree - root rot symptoms? TanQ10 Gardening 5 13-02-2004 11:12 PM