GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting up tulip "bulblets" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199640-planting-up-tulip-bulblets.html)

Lord0[_3_] 07-09-2011 01:16 PM

Planting up tulip "bulblets"

Hi,

I lifted my tulips. Each had produced many small bulblets, ranging in
size from corn kernels to hazelnuts.

Having read online I know that these can be planted on. I couldn't
however find a decent (non-conflicting) information on:

1) What planting medium to use? Soilless compost? J Innes No X? A
mixture of both? Use perlite/sand to open it up? etc
2) Assuming 1) above is successful should the bulblets be lifted in
summer as per "normal" tulips or just left in the growing medium until
the desired size?
3) Is there a min size that can be successfully planted? i.e. no
smaller than a pea etc?
4) Etc etc