Old 08-09-2011, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best practice for rotavator use

Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 9:30*am, mogga wrote:
Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Dig or plough the ground. Rotovate to produce a fine tilth if that's
what you want.

Small rotovators only cultivated the top 100/150mm of ground, not
enough for many purposes.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 9:30*am, mogga wrote:
Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Re grassed areas, the grass will just grow again if you rotovate.
Once again dig or plough in the grass first. Or kill itoff with weed
killer.

Rotovators are actually not a very usefull tool in the domestic
garden. Soil needs to be inverted, not churned up.
Another of these snake oil things.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 8, 9:43*am, harry wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:30*am, mogga wrote:

Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Dig or plough the ground. Rotovate to produce a fine tilth if that's
what you want.

Small rotovators only cultivated the top 100/150mm of ground, not
enough for many purposes.

With such a small rotovator you will find it hard to break the
surface, best to get someone in with a machine like a Howard gem.
Breaking new ground is hard on any machine, you would be better to
skin the surface off and rough dig, burying the old grass then
rotovate the dug ground, more work but worth it in the end.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ...

Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?

With grass areas I have always used glyphosate to kill off the weeds/grass
first, often two sprays needed, and then roughly dug the ground by hand.
Only then do I use the rotovator to chop up the lumps and make a tilth. Once
that is done then it will easily cope with the soft ground thereafter and
dig in manure etc.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:57:25 +0100, Dave Hill wrote
(in article
):

On Sep 8, 9:43*am, harry wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:30*am, mogga wrote:

Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Dig or plough the ground. Rotovate to produce a fine tilth if that's
what you want.

Small rotovators only cultivated the top 100/150mm of ground, not
enough for many purposes.

With such a small rotovator you will find it hard to break the
surface, best to get someone in with a machine like a Howard gem.
Breaking new ground is hard on any machine, you would be better to
skin the surface off and rough dig, burying the old grass then
rotovate the dug ground, more work but worth it in the end.

Howard Gem, why there's a name from the past. When I was a Farm Rep back in
the 70's and 80's I sold many a Gem to small nursery's and small holdings.
Along with their large machinery as well. What a shame they went like so
many firms dating from those days.
All our yesterdays just at the sound of that name. Howard Gem

Old 08-09-2011, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

al.net...

On Sep 8, 9:43 am, harry wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:30 am, mogga wrote:

[...]

I had one when we had a chunk of land in Leicester. Fantastic machine.
Leicester City Council wanted me to build on the land, so the Howard went
and the bricks came :-))

Two blocks of flats there now :-))

Mike

Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:09:43 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"mogga" wrote ...

Any thoughts on Best practice for rotavator use?

(it's a 5hp one which is meatier than the 3hp one we've had and loads
better than the tiller thing we have also)

Mow before attempting grassed areas?

With grass areas I have always used glyphosate to kill off the weeds/grass
first, often two sprays needed, and then roughly dug the ground by hand.
Only then do I use the rotovator to chop up the lumps and make a tilth. Once
that is done then it will easily cope with the soft ground thereafter and
dig in manure etc.

Two of the lads dug out their entire plot in huge sods and then
rotivated it. The mountain peaks up and down looked really hard work
though!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 9:43 am, harry wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:30 am, mogga wrote:

[...]

So now we need to add property development to serving as an officer in
the RN and RAF at the same time, and of course helping with the design
of the IOW "Fast Cat" ferrys.................

Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 9:43 am, harry wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:30 am, mogga wrote:

[...]

He may be telling the truth. It's a fact that less than 2% of the male
population in the UK are masons, yet 40% of Town Councillors who award
Council Buildings contracts are masons. Which builders get the successful
tenders, are they masons or non-masons? You guess.
David Icke, at times can be dafter than a fruit-bat, but you've got to
admire his courage ~

http://www.davidicke.com/articles/il...ut-the-cesspit