Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help! How do I prune Autumn Raspberries

How and when do I prune Autumn Raspberries?

Do I cut back the same as the summer ones?

Ann

Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 08:51:14 +0000 (UTC), Ann Lancing
wrote:

How and when do I prune Autumn Raspberries?

Do I cut back the same as the summer ones?

Ann

Easy rule for all raspberries - cut the canes that have fruited (and
only those) down to ground level as soon as they've finished. If you
don't do it this way, make sure you cut autumn fruiters (only!) down
to ground by the end of January.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 08-09-2011, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:l33h67pr6cqot0u2rmjm8ih9h51pg0bf0i@
4ax.com:

wrote:

How and when do I prune Autumn Raspberries?

Do I cut back the same as the summer ones?

Ann

Easy rule for all raspberries - cut the canes that have fruited (and
only those) down to ground level as soon as they've finished. If you
don't do it this way, make sure you cut autumn fruiters (only!) down
to ground by the end of January.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Nice and concise, I am understanding a bit now!

Baz
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Lancing View Post
How and when do I prune Autumn Raspberries?
Autumn raspberries fruit on new canes each year, so basically you cut the lot down at the end of fruiting, and it is generally said no later than January. Though I was a bit late (like March - they were already growing again) last winter and have still got a reasonable crop.

If you use the description "cut down all fruited canes after fruiting", that does for both autumn and summer raspberries. However the reality of cutting the lot down (autumn), vs, leaving the new green canes (summer) is in practice different.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

wrote:

How and when do I prune Autumn Raspberries?

Do I cut back the same as the summer ones?

Ann

Easy rule for all raspberries - cut the canes that have fruited (and
only those) down to ground level as soon as they've finished. If you
don't do it this way, make sure you cut autumn fruiters (only!) down
to ground by the end of January.

Cheers
Jake

Only problem with this is, that I've found the autumn fruiting ones can
start putting out flowers again, so you can go on picking until the
first frosts if you lucky. I usually leave the autumn fruiting canes
until February, then cut then down, before the current years new shoots
start to appear.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 21:46:28 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

wrote:

How and when do I prune Autumn Raspberries?

Do I cut back the same as the summer ones?

Ann

Easy rule for all raspberries - cut the canes that have fruited (and
only those) down to ground level as soon as they've finished. If you
don't do it this way, make sure you cut autumn fruiters (only!) down
to ground by the end of January.

Cheers
Jake

Only problem with this is, that I've found the autumn fruiting ones can
start putting out flowers again, so you can go on picking until the
first frosts if you lucky. I usually leave the autumn fruiting canes
until February, then cut then down, before the current years new shoots
start to appear.

Fair point, Roger. I still have Tulameen (summer) fruiting. You could
argue that autumn raspberries, if not cut down in January (OK Feb at
your altitude), will fruit again around late April/May though you'll
then end up with a maze of live and dead canes and I'm not convinced
that the main autumn crop won't then suffer. It's down to experience
perhaps - knowing when a cane has decided to give up. I err on the
side of caution - lopping the canes off when I think they've had it
but still feeding the soil to allow the roots to rebuild their
reserves before their knobbly bits get frozen in the winter

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk