GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   When can I dig up rhubarb (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199648-when-can-i-dig-up-rhubarb.html)

alan.holmes 08-09-2011 10:41 PM

When can I dig up rhubarb

I have a plant in an area I want to use for something else, so how soon van
I dig up the rhubarb so I can use the site for something else?

Alan

Bertie Doe 09-09-2011 05:54 AM

When can I dig up rhubarb

"alan.holmes" wrote in message ...

I have a plant in an area I want to use for something else, so how soon van
I dig up the rhubarb so I can use the site for something else?

Last year, I found the dormant period in December was the best time. This
was just before new growth started.

'Mike'[_4_] 09-09-2011 06:54 AM

When can I dig up rhubarb

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message ...

I have a plant in an area I want to use for something else, so how soon
van I dig up the rhubarb so I can use the site for something else?

Last year, I found the dormant period in December was the best time. This
was just before new growth started.

A site hut was put onto a piece of land near me ready to build a bungalow.
Right at the entrance to the hut, a Rhubarb plant started to shove its head
above ground before work started on the building. I asked if I could dig it
up. Wheelbarrow and spade. It came up in about three pieces and we have had
rhubarb ever since. That was growing!!

Mike