GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato disaster (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199683-tomato-disaster.html)

Pete C[_3_] 11-09-2011 09:21 PM

Tomato disaster

Not been to allotment for a few days. Went this morning expecting to pick a
lot of toms. A sad sight met my eyes, all tom plants dead/dying and fruit
rotting! A wander around the site showed similar on almost every plot. One
lady said she thought there was a cold night last week.....but frost? Am
depressed....all that hard work wasted. :(
Pete C

No Name 11-09-2011 09:44 PM

Tomato disaster

Pete C wrote:
Not been to allotment for a few days. Went this morning expecting to pick a
lot of toms. A sad sight met my eyes, all tom plants dead/dying and fruit
rotting! A wander around the site showed similar on almost every plot. One
lady said she thought there was a cold night last week.....but frost? Am
depressed....all that hard work wasted. :(

Probably blight. All of our allotment has been blighted, both our
greenhouses are rife. And it's very very sad. I presume you've been
growing tomatoes long enough to recognise blight? You get brown powdery
patches up the stem, and the tomatoes go mottled brown.

Bob Hobden 11-09-2011 10:19 PM

Tomato disaster

"Pete C" wrote .

Not been to allotment for a few days. Went this morning expecting to pick a
lot of toms. A sad sight met my eyes, all tom plants dead/dying and fruit
rotting! A wander around the site showed similar on almost every plot. One
lady said she thought there was a cold night last week.....but frost? Am
depressed....all that hard work wasted. :(

Not frost but Blight, everyone on our site has lost all their Toms except
us, again. Must really **** them off. I spray ours with Bordeaux Mixture and
have done it twice so far and we also only grow Blight resistant varieties.
(Ferline, Fantasio and Legend)
I noticed at RHS Wisley this week they spray all their potatoes with BM too
but a sign beside them said " Sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture which will
shortly be taken off the market" for goodness sake is this a policy designed
to stop us growing any food ourselves. And yes we have stocked up.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

[email protected] 11-09-2011 10:38 PM

Tomato disaster

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:19:39 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote .

[...]

Has just kicked in here too. However, I have made two 5 kg batches of
green tomato chutney before the blight showed.

Tomato material is now being segregated for disposal away from the
garden. I'd burn it, but the guy two doors away is an arse about
smoke.

Regards
JonH
Also to the west of London.

No Name 12-09-2011 12:39 AM

Tomato disaster

wrote:
Tomato material is now being segregated for disposal away from the
garden. I'd burn it, but the guy two doors away is an arse about
smoke.

How are you disposing? I'm unsure what to do with mine.

[email protected] 12-09-2011 07:49 AM

Tomato disaster

On 11 Sep 2011 23:39:00 GMT, wrote:

wrote:
Tomato material is now being segregated for disposal away from the
garden. I'd burn it, but the guy two doors away is an arse about
smoke.

How are you disposing? I'm unsure what to do with mine.

Bagging and taking to the local council dump.

Regards
JonH

harry 12-09-2011 08:03 AM

Tomato disaster

On Sep 11, 10:19*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Pete C" *wrote .

[...]

Not a problem round here so far.( W.Midlands) My tomatoes won a first
in the local show.

I think it's a good thing to spray the inside of the greenhouse with
Jeyes fliud at the end of the year. Also avoid having fixed bads in
the greenhouse.

It has been very dry round here 'til of late.

harry 12-09-2011 08:07 AM

Tomato disaster

On Sep 11, 10:38*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:19:39 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pete C" *wrote .

[...]

Also to the west of London.- Hide quoted text -

Waste of time.The spores are everywhere. It is the temperature/
humidity triggers it. I just compost mine even if blighted. Don't
have any more problems than average..

harry 12-09-2011 08:10 AM

Tomato disaster

On Sep 11, 9:21*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Not been to allotment for a few days. Went this morning expecting to pick a
lot of toms. A sad sight met my eyes, all tom plants dead/dying and fruit
rotting! A wander around the site showed similar on almost every plot. One
lady said she thought there was a cold night last week.....but frost? Am
depressed....all that hard work wasted. :(
Pete C

Trying to grow tomatoes outdoors is a waste of time. You only get a
short season and the blight takes hold sooner than with a greenhouse.

[email protected] 12-09-2011 08:31 AM

Tomato disaster

In article ,
chris French wrote:

Isn't Bordeaux Mixture just a made form Copper Sulphate and Copper
Hydroxide (Hydrated Lime)? If so it would be easy enough to make it up
anyway I'd I thought (yes I know it's technically illegal)

You meant Calcium hydroxide!

If our damn Whitehall bureaucrats do their usual, it will be forbidden
for domestic use (where is has never caused any harm) but not restricted
in commercial use (where is occasionally has). That's what they did
with benomyl.

Note that a usual EU directive is merely that the countries shall
implement appropriate legislation, and do not specify it in detail.
It's Whitehall that should get the blame.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

chris French 12-09-2011 08:37 AM

Tomato disaster

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Pete C" wrote .

echinosum 12-09-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 936214)
"a sign beside them said " Sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture which will
shortly be taken off the market" for goodness sake is this a policy designed
to stop us growing any food ourselves.

Since I presume no one has it in mind to close down the French wine industry, presumably they will still be able to get it???

Copper sulphate and hydrated lime, not exactly controlled chemicals. Better to sell it to people ready made up than them trying to make it themselves.

chris French 12-09-2011 10:12 AM

Tomato disaster

In message , writes
In article ,
chris French wrote:

Isn't Bordeaux Mixture just a made form Copper Sulphate and Copper
Hydroxide (Hydrated Lime)? If so it would be easy enough to make it up
anyway I'd I thought (yes I know it's technically illegal)

You meant Calcium hydroxide!

I did yes :-)
--
Chris French

Jeff Layman[_2_] 12-09-2011 10:29 AM

Tomato disaster

On 12/09/2011 08:31, wrote:
In .uk,
chris wrote:

Isn't Bordeaux Mixture just a made form Copper Sulphate and Copper
Hydroxide (Hydrated Lime)? If so it would be easy enough to make it up
anyway I'd I thought (yes I know it's technically illegal)

You meant Calcium hydroxide!

If our damn Whitehall bureaucrats do their usual, it will be forbidden
for domestic use (where is has never caused any harm) but not restricted
in commercial use (where is occasionally has). That's what they did
with benomyl.

Note that a usual EU directive is merely that the countries shall
implement appropriate legislation, and do not specify it in detail.
It's Whitehall that should get the blame.

Some regulatory Directives are very detailed. The problems come in
spin-offs with communications, advice, opinions, and what have you.
About the only things which are absolute are those decisions made by the
EU Court of Justice.

It's interesting how different countries deal with Directives. IME, the
UK tended to rewrite everything and produce a Statutory Instrument which
more-or-less repeated what the EU Directive said, but in different
wording (and that is where problems in interpretation arose - but that's
another matter). The SI also came into force when the Directive said it
must be in force in the Member State. In Ireland, they just used to
issue a one-page SI which said that EU Directive xx/xx/xx would come
into force on date XX/XX/20xx!

It's all a lot simpler with an EU Regulation - no arguments!

For those who want to visit Headache Central, look he
http://europa.eu/documentation/offic...s/index_en.htm

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman[_2_] 12-09-2011 10:39 AM

Tomato disaster

On 12/09/2011 08:10, harry wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:21 pm, "Pete wrote:
Not been to allotment for a few days. Went this morning expecting to pick a
lot of toms. A sad sight met my eyes, all tom plants dead/dying and fruit
rotting! A wander around the site showed similar on almost every plot. One
lady said she thought there was a cold night last week.....but frost? Am
depressed....all that hard work wasted. :(
Pete C

Trying to grow tomatoes outdoors is a waste of time. You only get a
short season and the blight takes hold sooner than with a greenhouse.

Indeed it does. For the first time in over 15 years I thought I might
try growing some tomatoes (and sweet peppers) again as the greenhouse is
more-or-less empty in summer.

So I got some Gardener's Delight and Sweet Romano pepper seeds and
germinated those months ago. No problems. I even had enough plants so
that some of the GD went outside the greenhouse, and some in.

But what a waste of time, especially with the lousy "summer". The
outside GD got blight a couple of weeks ago and I've dumped the plants
in the compost bin. Nice lot of green tomato chutney though! One of
the plants inside the greenhouse is just starting to show blight, so
I'll cut those down in the next day or so. And the tomatoes I've had so
far? Not a patch on the GD I remember for taste, and a lot bigger too.
My neighbour had some of my spare plants, and had bought some GD
plants separately. No difference between them AFAICT. What is going on
with GD?

The peppers are just ripening in the greenhouse, and I haven't tasted
them yet. I don't have high hopes after the tomato experience. :-(

--

Jeff