Old 15-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Registered User

Default Cotoneaster

Hi all

I have a rather large, well established Cotoneaster at work but i would like to take a cutting from it to grow at home to brighten up the shabby fence panel i have. I'm rather impatient and would like to take a large section (thick woody branch) as I have read that it does not produce flowers or berrys for a few years (i do have a small one that has seeded itself a little bit away from the main branch that i could take up and plant at home, but as I said I'm a little impatient, any help on how i would go about doing this would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kate
Old 15-09-2011, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:41:25 +0000, Genie2312
wrote:

Hi all

I have a rather large, well established Cotoneaster at work but i would
like to take a cutting from it to grow at home to brighten up the shabby
fence panel i have. I'm rather impatient and would like to take a large
section (thick woody branch) as I have read that it does not produce
flowers or berrys for a few years (i do have a small one that has seeded
itself a little bit away from the main branch that i could take up and
plant at home, but as I said I'm a little impatient, any help on how i
would go about doing this would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kate

Patience is going to be a virtue. At this time of year you can take
hardwood cuttings but they will take time to develop. Details at the
following link:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=387

However, if you take a big chunk, it is unlikely to succeed.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 15-09-2011, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Everyone says it's easy but I've never managed to get horizontalis to root.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:56:37 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Everyone says it's easy but I've never managed to get horizontalis to root.

I've done it by layering, which horizontalis is very good at on its
own. I've just nicked the bark a bit and "stapled" the branch into the
ground.

Old 15-09-2011, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Everyone says it's easy but I've never managed to get horizontalis to root.

I've done it by layering, which horizontalis is very good at on its
own. I've just nicked the bark a bit and "stapled" the branch into the
ground.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Thanks. I'll try that next time

Old 15-09-2011, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:

Everyone says it's easy but I've never managed to get horizontalis to root.

I've done it by layering, which horizontalis is very good at on its
own. I've just nicked the bark a bit and "stapled" the branch into the
ground.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Thanks. I'll try that next time

You can also just use brute force, by plonking a good-sized stone on a
convenient branch -- I did this by accident.

--
Mike.
Old 15-09-2011, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

IME you have to wait for a berry to seed itself somewhere and then you are
up and running. I've never tried to take a cutting from my horizontalis.
Tina

Old 16-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered User

wrote:

Hi all

I have a rather large, well established Cotoneaster at work but i would
like to take a cutting from it to grow at home to brighten up the shabby
fence panel i have. I'm rather impatient and would like to take a large
section (thick woody branch) as I have read that it does not produce
flowers or berrys for a few years (i do have a small one that has seeded
itself a little bit away from the main branch that i could take up and
plant at home, but as I said I'm a little impatient, any help on how i
would go about doing this would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kate

Patience is going to be a virtue. At this time of year you can take
hardwood cuttings but they will take time to develop. Details at the
following link:

Cuttings: hardwood / Royal Horticultural Society

However, if you take a big chunk, it is unlikely to succeed.

==============================================[color=blue][i]

Thank you everyone for replying.....

Patience has never been my strong point but i think i'll have to give it a go....haha....

In theory.....all that i have read say it should flower/berry after about 2 years......the new little plant is about 12" high and has 3 branches on it.....the stem (?) looks quite woody so maybe i wouldn't have too many years to wait as it may already be 1/2 years old?????

Thanks again

Kate
Old 16-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered User

In theory.....all that i have read say it should flower/berry after about 2 years......the new little plant is about 12" high and has 3 branches on it.....the stem (?) looks quite woody so maybe i wouldn't have too many years to wait as it may already be 1/2 years old?????

Thanks again

Kate[/quote]

Here is a pic of the seedling that i just took up to take home.....anyone hazzard a guess at how old it is??? I took it next to a standard watering can to give a better idea of it's size, it's a bit bigger than i thought now i've taken it from under the main plant....but no berry's this time....so hoping it flowers next year

also a pic from the top of the main tree/bush/shrub.....

how can anyone think it's an awful weed....
Attached Thumbnails
Cotoneaster-dsci0630.jpg   Cotoneaster-dsci0631.jpg
Old 15-09-2011, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/09/2011 10:41, Genie2312 wrote:
Hi all

I have a rather large, well established Cotoneaster at work but i would
like to take a cutting from it to grow at home to brighten up the shabby
fence panel i have. I'm rather impatient and would like to take a large
section (thick woody branch) as I have read that it does not produce
flowers or berrys for a few years (i do have a small one that has seeded
itself a little bit away from the main branch that i could take up and
plant at home, but as I said I'm a little impatient, any help on how i
would go about doing this would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kate

You could try layering a more substantial section.That would give you
more chance than trying to root a large cutting.

Alan

Old 16-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie2312 View Post
I have a rather large, well established Cotoneaster at work but i would like to take a cutting from it to grow at home to brighten up the shabby fence panel i have. I'm rather impatient and would like to take a large section (thick woody branch) as I have read that it does not produce flowers or berrys for a few years (i do have a small one that has seeded itself a little bit away from the main branch that i could take up and plant at home, but as I said I'm a little impatient, any help on how i would go about doing this would be apreciated.
Why would anyone go to the trouble of taking cotoneaster cuttings? Awful weeds. I'm forever pulling up volunteer cotoneaster seedlings. They don't necessarily grow close to the original. I presume the seed germinates most easily having passed through the stomach of a bird.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Why would anyone go to the trouble of taking cotoneaster cuttings? Awful weeds. I'm forever pulling up volunteer cotoneaster seedlings. They don't necessarily grow close to the original. I presume the seed germinates most easily having passed through the stomach of a bird.
each to our own tastes ;o)
Old 16-09-2011, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Genie2312" wrote in message

Hi all

I have a rather large, well established Cotoneaster at work but i would
like to take a cutting from it to grow at home to brighten up the shabby
fence panel i have. I'm rather impatient and would like to take a large
section (thick woody branch) as I have read that it does not produce
flowers or berrys for a few years (i do have a small one that has seeded
itself a little bit away from the main branch that i could take up and
plant at home, but as I said I'm a little impatient, any help on how i
would go about doing this would be apreciated.

How about a multi-option approach?

Lift the small one and transplant it and then try a variety of methods (as
described here) to try and produce a viable cutting.
If you get a nice big cutting then you can replace the small plant or grow
two plants.
If after a couple of years you haven't managed to get a decent cutting then
your original plant will have been growing during all that time.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder