GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First Frost Date (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199739-first-frost-date.html)

No Name 17-09-2011 03:47 PM

First Frost Date

Anyone know when the first frost date is due? There was a very cold night
recently which looks like it has seriously upset all of my courgettes (at
least, the green ones - the damned yellow things are still going strong!!)
and some outdoor tomatoes. Think it was Weds night/Thurs morning.

Baz[_3_] 17-09-2011 04:15 PM

First Frost Date

wrote in
:

Anyone know when the first frost date is due? There was a very cold
night recently which looks like it has seriously upset all of my
courgettes (at least, the green ones - the damned yellow things are
still going strong!!) and some outdoor tomatoes. Think it was Weds
night/Thurs morning.

You can use this url below and set your area at the top of the page.

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...eg_planner.asp

If you have any problems with it give me a yell.
Baz

No Name 17-09-2011 04:22 PM

First Frost Date

Baz wrote:
You can use this url below and set your area at the top of the page.
http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...eg_planner.asp

Ta. Mid-October.

If you have any problems with it give me a yell.

Other than the really offensive over-use of adverts that make it very
difficult to navigate, it was fine. :-/

Is that your site? You may want to try something a bit less invasive like
googleads.

Baz[_3_] 17-09-2011 05:51 PM

First Frost Date

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
You can use this url below and set your area at the top of the page.
http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...eg_planner.asp

Ta. Mid-October.

If you have any problems with it give me a yell.

Other than the really offensive over-use of adverts that make it very
difficult to navigate, it was fine. :-/

Is that your site? You may want to try something a bit less invasive
like googleads.

No it certainly is not my site. I have no site, I was purely trying to help
you with frost dates.

My advice to you, if you are spammed by adverts is to take remedial action
such as get a spam filter built in or just do some updating instead of
moaning. It is after all YOUR computer, take charge of the thing.
Bloody hell.

Baz

[email protected] 17-09-2011 06:13 PM

First Frost Date

In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:

I always believe first frosts come in the 3 days either side of full
moon, so you've got away with this month next will be between 9th and
15th of October if there is a clear sky.

I suspect that's associated more with shedding all clothes,
and running around on four legs, which also happens at that
time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jake 17-09-2011 06:37 PM

First Frost Date

On 17 Sep 2011 15:22:29 GMT, wrote:

Baz wrote:
You can use this url below and set your area at the top of the page.
http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...eg_planner.asp

Ta. Mid-October.

If you have any problems with it give me a yell.

Other than the really offensive over-use of adverts that make it very
difficult to navigate, it was fine. :-/

Is that your site? You may want to try something a bit less invasive like
googleads.

Funny! I've tried this site with IE9 and Chrome. Saw one non-intrusive
advert in the green header at the top of the window for Harrod
Horticultura plus, on each page, a central area with a "could not
load" type message though if that area was supposed to be an advert,
it was not "in the way" and certainly not "invasive". Maybe you need
to look at your browser settings - possibly the pop-up blocker.

The predictions for my area were reasonably accurate if past
experience is anything to go by. Even with the exceptional last
winter, the first frosts happened when they usually do; it's just that
thereafter they went ballistic!

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Dave Hill 17-09-2011 06:39 PM

First Frost Date

On Sep 17, 6:22*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

wrote in
:

Anyone know when the first frost date is due?

*Duh, seasonal temperatures vary across the UK.

*There was a very cold

night recently which looks like it has seriously upset all of my
courgettes (at least, the green ones - the damned yellow things are
still going strong!!) and some outdoor tomatoes. *Think it was Weds
night/Thurs morning.

You can use this url below and set your area at the top of the page.

http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...eg_planner.asp

If you have any problems with it give me a yell.

* That url is very inaccurate re first-last frost dates in various parts
of Scotland.
* *Janet.

I always believe first frosts come in the 3 days either side of full
moon, so you've got away with this month next will be between 9th and
15th of October if there is a clear sky.
Then it's 7th to 13th November, but if the last couple of years here
in South Wales are anything to go by that could be tyhe start of our
snow.
Just remember, it does help if you say where you are in the UK.

S Viemeister[_2_] 17-09-2011 07:21 PM

First Frost Date

On 9/17/2011 1:37 PM, Jake wrote:

Funny! I've tried this site with IE9 and Chrome. Saw one non-intrusive
advert in the green header at the top of the window for Harrod
Horticultura plus, on each page, a central area with a "could not
load" type message though if that area was supposed to be an advert,
it was not "in the way" and certainly not "invasive". Maybe you need
to look at your browser settings - possibly the pop-up blocker.

I've just viewed it with Firefox - not an ad in sight!

No Name 17-09-2011 07:38 PM

First Frost Date

Baz wrote:
No it certainly is not my site. I have no site, I was purely trying to help
you with frost dates.

And I thanked you for your help.

My advice to you, if you are spammed by adverts is to take remedial action
such as get a spam filter built in or just do some updating instead of
moaning. It is after all YOUR computer, take charge of the thing.

Actually, it's not my computer, but anyhow. I am not being 'spammed' by
adverts, I was commenting on the amount of adverts embedded as part of the
page, making the page very difficult to read. If it /was/ your site I was
going to offer help with the design which might make it easier to read.

Bloody hell.

Quite.

No Name 17-09-2011 07:41 PM

First Frost Date

Janet wrote:
Anyone know when the first frost date is due?

Duh, seasonal temperatures vary across the UK.

Oh well obviously I never knew that, Janet, because otherwise you wouldn't
be able to treat me like some kind of stupid child.

You know, for the amount of occasionally useful or entertaining comments you
make, I really can see why some people choose to killfile you.

Dave Hill 17-09-2011 08:05 PM

First Frost Date

On Sep 17, 6:13*pm, wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:

I always believe first frosts come in the 3 days either side of full
moon, so you've got away with this month next will be between 9th and
15th of October if there is a clear sky.

I suspect that's associated more with shedding all clothes,
and running around on four legs, which also happens at that
time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If one does as you suspect then knowing when frost is due is even more
important

Mike Lyle[_1_] 17-09-2011 09:27 PM

First Frost Date

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:39:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:
[...]

I always believe first frosts come in the 3 days either side of full
moon, so you've got away with this month next will be between 9th and
15th of October if there is a clear sky.
Then it's 7th to 13th November, but if the last couple of years here
in South Wales are anything to go by that could be tyhe start of our
snow.
Just remember, it does help if you say where you are in the UK.

Yep, that's true. Y'see, at the time of the full moon the
gravitational forces are concentrated, and they pull away the Earth's
protective layer of water vapour, thus letting in the cold from outer
space. My shaman explained it to me.

--
Mike.

Dave Hill 17-09-2011 09:37 PM

First Frost Date

On Sep 17, 9:27*pm, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:39:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave wrote:

[...]

I always believe first frosts come in the 3 days either side of full
moon, so you've got away with this month next will be between 9th and
15th of October if there is a clear sky.
Then it's 7th to 13th November, but if the last couple of years here
in South Wales are anything to go by that could be tyhe start of our
snow.
Just remember, it does help if you say where you are in the UK.

Yep, that's true. Y'see, at the time of the full moon the
gravitational forces are concentrated, and they pull away the Earth's
protective layer of water vapour, thus letting in the cold from outer
space. My shaman explained it to me.

--
Mike.

Someone has to say it........
According to the ITV3 prog guide we are due for A touch of Frost
tonight

No Name 17-09-2011 09:50 PM

First Frost Date

Dave Hill wrote:
According to the ITV3 prog guide we are due for A touch of Frost
tonight

*polite applause*

No Name 17-09-2011 10:11 PM

First Frost Date

Martin wrote:
I viewed the site with Google Chrome. I saw no adverts.

Same here.

I feel we are missing something.

I've just gone back to check I'm not going completely mad. The page Baz
posted does not have adverts. The link you click to adjust your timezone
does.
http://gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather.asp

There weren't a massive amount of adverts, and the main one, although a bit
garish, is just an advert. The ones that pop up when you mouse over links
that are taken from words in the text are /really/ annoying (they obscure
the text, and they are not related to the content. They are also misleading
because on first glance they look like part of the content, and a useful
clickable link.

Having run my own websites, I /like/ adverts, and I find advert blockers
slightly offensive, since they are effectively stopping site owners from a
potential source of revenue to fund their work, for what is basically a
minor inconvenience to the user. Adverts have their place. In the middle
of a block of text is not, IMHO, one of them.

Trust me, I live with someone who used to do usability testing for one of
the major websites in this country. It's not a friendly page.