GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   rhododendron (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199760-rhododendron.html)

jeanf 19-09-2011 07:18 PM

rhododendron

my rhododendron elizabeth has just got another flush of flowers after already flowering in the spring, has this has not happen'd before does any one know if it will still flower next spring as it has used the buds that were set .

Doghouse Riley 19-09-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanf (Post 936998)
my rhododendron elizabeth has just got another flush of flowers after already flowering in the spring, has this has not happen'd before does any one know if it will still flower next spring as it has used the buds that were set .

Yes, rodos and azaleas sometimes have a late second flowering, usually just a few blooms. We always get a few, it happens with other plants too, particularly wisteria.
You should find more buds that have not flowered which will be next year,s.

Dave Hill 19-09-2011 10:32 PM

rhododendron

--
Doghouse Riley

Will you now call it Elizabeth the second?

echinosum 20-09-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanf (Post 936998)
my rhododendron elizabeth has just got another flush of flowers after already flowering in the spring, has this has not happen'd before does any one know if it will still flower next spring as it has used the buds that were set .

Certainly when Elizabeth once flowered for me in late Oct/Nov it did not form a new set of buds for the following spring.

Though on the whole I would say it has been my most reliable rhodie.

jeanf 22-09-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hill (Post 937052)
wrote:
jeanf;936998 Wrote:

my rhododendron elizabeth * has just got another flush of flowers after
already flowering in the spring, *has this has not happen'd before does
any one know if it will still flower next spring as it has used the buds
that were set .

Yes, rodos and azaleas sometimes have a late second *flowering, usually
just a few blooms. We always get a few, it happens with other plants
too, particularly wisteria.
You should find more buds that have not flowered which will be next
year,s.

--
Doghouse Riley

Will you now call it Elizabeth the second?

thanks for the reply as my roddo has had quite a lot of flowers this second time around i expect i will just have to look forward or not a flowerless roddo next spring .