GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Front Gate (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199801-front-gate.html)

Bob Hobden 22-09-2011 11:04 PM

Front Gate

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one we
had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two men
running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally ladder
so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy another
gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates? This old
one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

'Mike'[_4_] 22-09-2011 11:22 PM

Front Gate

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one
we had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two
men running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally
ladder so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy
another gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates?
This old one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

You drill a hole in the pin above the gate and either put a split pin in,
(not too secure) or a small nut and bolt or a rivet and rivet the end over

OR

you take the top pin out of the brickwork, which is more than likely a bit
complicated because of the nature of the bit built into the brickwork, hang
the gate on the bottom pin then put the top pin in upside down onto the gate
and brick this into the brickwork again. No 'just lifting the gate off'

Mike

chrisj.doran%[email protected] 22-09-2011 11:40 PM

Front Gate

On Sep 22, 11:22*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one
we had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two
men running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally
ladder so looks like the scrap men were around last night.

Yes, they did an entire street's gates around here a few weeks ago.
Followed by the bronze plates from the war memorial.

Before I buy
another gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates?
This old one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

You drill a hole in the pin above the gate and either put a split pin in,
(not too secure) or a small nut and bolt or a rivet and rivet the end over

OR

you take the top pin out of the brickwork, which is more than likely a bit
complicated because of the nature of the bit built into the brickwork, hang
the gate on the bottom pin then put the top pin in upside down onto the gate
and brick this into the brickwork again. No 'just lifting the gate off'

But I suspect a decent go with a jemmy will just pull the pins out :-(

Chris

Bob Hobden 22-09-2011 11:45 PM

Front Gate

"Sacha" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" said:

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron
one we had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw
two men running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long
ally ladder so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before
I buy another gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their
gates? This old one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

Bob, I'm very sorry to hear this, what a horrible thing to happen. I
have no idea about securing gates but could you have a wooden one
instead? Not as satisfying to you perhaps but less thievable, maybe.
Apparently this theft of metal 'boom' is on the increase.

Might be unless they want to sit round the camp fire!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Bob Hobden 22-09-2011 11:57 PM

Front Gate

Chris wrote ...

"'Mike'" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

I'd thought of a hole with a rivet or self tapping screw, or probably
better, tap a thread on the round posts and screw on a locking nut very
tightly and then grind off the flats.
Walked down the street just in case and didn't notice anyone else's gates
gone but I'm told the police were about here today so maybe other villainy
was done. I'll have to ask the Neighbourhood Watch chap.

Also thought of wiring it to the mains but that might just upset the postman
and milkman. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

harry 23-09-2011 08:19 AM

Front Gate

On Sep 22, 11:04*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one we
had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two men
running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally ladder
so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy another
gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates? This old
one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Best way is to put washers on the hinge pins and weld them on. But
spoils any galvanising.

If the hinge pin is drilled, you can get a roll pin which will hammer
in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_...ed_spring_pins

At least it makes a lot of noise to remove and they would need a
hammer and punch to get them out.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 23-09-2011 08:46 AM

Front Gate

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one
we had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two
men running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally
ladder so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy
another gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates?
This old one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

My gate post shape stops the gate being lifted off, you have to remove the
hinges and the padlock!

Previously I had used a hammer to burr over the tops of the pins so the gate
would not lift off

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

mogga 23-09-2011 11:27 AM

Front Gate

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 23:04:23 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one we
had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two men
running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally ladder
so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy another

Did he ring the police?

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Dave Hill 23-09-2011 01:13 PM

Front Gate

wrote:

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one we
had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two men
running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally ladder
so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy another

Did he ring the police?

gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates? This old
one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

We had our small gate stolen about 10 years ago, so I made a gate out
of scrap wood, it works, but no one would be seen dead with it. not
even good firewood.

Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] 23-09-2011 02:25 PM

Front Gate

wrote:

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one we
had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two men
running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally ladder
so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy another

Did he ring the police?

gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates? This old
one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

We had our small gate stolen about 10 years ago, so I made a gate out
of scrap wood, it works, but no one would be seen dead with it. not
even good firewood.

I made my gate out of bits of scrap wood as a temporary measure about
20 years ago. Someone painted it white while I was working away. I've
no idea who painted it. My wife, the only suspect, denies doing it.
The gate is still there. I must paint the post to match!

Steve

echinosum 23-09-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 937382)
Also thought of wiring it to the mains but that might just upset the postman and milkman. :-)

Whilst we have been reassured that we are allowed to stab our burglar, I think we still aren't allowed to electrocute him.

Dave Hill 23-09-2011 07:35 PM

Front Gate

On Sep 23, 3:33*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , says...

*Before I buy another

gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates? This old
one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

*Many farm gates are kept padlocked at the opening end, and fitted with a
riser cap on the hinged end to prevent
the classic cheats method of opening them at the hinge end instead. You
should be able to get details from agricultural suppliers, but you could
also try those *expensive cast-iron gate manufacturers who advertise in
gardening mags; they must be offering something similar to clients who
install electrically controlled security gates.

* Janet

All you need do is to wire a poste on the hinge side, 2 loops of wire
round the receiving post one top and one bottom then another post that
fits into them and stretch barbed wire between the posts, probably 4
strands..
To open lift the top wire loop off the post and lift the bottom from
the lower loop.
Simples, and who would want to steel it?

Bob Hobden 24-09-2011 10:35 PM

Front Gate

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one we
had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two men
running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally ladder
so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy another
gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates? This old
one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

Turns out at least two other houses have lost their iron gates the same
night and one was secured, they thought!
Much to the amusement of the person that showed it to me there is an article
in "The Times" today about this epidemic spreading through the country and
calling for better enforcement and a change in the law with regard to scrap
metal dealers.
They get a couple of pounds for the scrap and I have to spend £50 plus a lot
of work to replace it with a cheap one.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

MuddyMike 25-09-2011 09:09 AM

Front Gate

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

[...]

Scrapyards paying out in cash should be banned. If scrap was paid for by
bank transfer only it would stamp out 90% of metal theft.

Mike

'Mike'[_4_] 25-09-2011 09:40 AM

Front Gate

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

[...]

Whenever I have taken scrap cable or copper into a scrap yard, I have had
forms to fill in AND my vehicle registration number has been taken.

Mike