Old 30-09-2011, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Extra strong spiders webs this year?

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:15:13 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 29/09/2011 14:05, mogga wrote:
The spiders needing moving before I mowed the lawn yesterday as
they've made webs all round the bushes and hedges. Some of the web
felt really tough to break though!
Either that or I was feeling particularly weak yesterday. Some pretty
big spiders too. (Orb ones I think with huge backsides!)

They'd also reclaimed across the front path (just a couple of threads)
within an hour of my son going through it this morning. Should I be
worried about how many we have round here yet?

No, don't worry about them, Mogga. Just think how much it will save you
on insecticide.

There do seem to be lot of orb weavers around at the moment. The ones I
see most of in my garden are Araneus diadematus and Zygiella x-notata.
Occasionally, I see the web (and inhabitant) of Meta segmentata, too.

If you do have to move the webs, try and retain the bridge line as this
makes it easier for the spider to reconstruct its web.

I'm afraid it's the bridge lines that had to go.I moved it slow enough
for the spiders to hide.
Didn't want to randomly catch them as I mowed and end up with them in
my hair

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 14-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered User

Webs with alive spider are particularly strong and also depend of their size. It is fun to look for spider at night...with my nephews

webs on rosemary Anony moose Gardening 3 09-06-2006 02:48 AM
Sticky Webs in our Hedges Don and Marcy Gardening 4 06-09-2005 12:51 AM
Tiny red mites creating webs on my leaves scs0 Ponds 9 23-08-2003 11:02 PM
Walking into spider webs ruth Australia 10 05-04-2003 06:35 AM