Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 PM
jamie smith's Avatar
Registered User

Location: england
Cool Growing Herbs Indoors (BASIL)

Hello everyone im really new and new to gardening, I need a little help on growing and planting herbs indoors, I want to grow Basil i got Basil purple ruffles, Basil red dark opal and Basil sweet genovese can everyone give me some expert advice please thank you so much.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Growing Herbs Indoors (BASIL)

--
jamie smith

I'd have said it was the wrong time of year to be trying, I'd leave it
till the spring
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

wrote:
Hello everyone im really new and new to gardening, I need a little help
on growing and planting herbs indoors, I want to grow Basil i got Basil
purple ruffles, Basil red dark opal and Basil sweet genovese can
everyone give me some expert advice please thank you so much.

I'd have said it was the wrong time of year to be trying, I'd leave it
till the spring

Totally. Basil needs full sun, south facing window, long sunny days &
compost plus slow release food. So its summer only. If you can get it
to struggle through the winter without dying, it should be good all
summer, as long as you nip off any flower buds. But its easier to
leave it till spring to get the plants or seeds.

NT
Old 02-10-2011, 06:26 PM
jamie smith's Avatar
Registered User

Location: england

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
wrote:
Hello everyone im really new and new to gardening, I need a little help
on growing and planting herbs indoors, I want to grow Basil i got Basil
purple ruffles, Basil red dark opal and Basil sweet genovese can
everyone give me some expert advice please thank you so much.

--
jamie smith

I'd have said it was the wrong time of year to be trying, I'd leave it
till the spring
What about in a cuboard with bulbs ?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Witch of these plants will grow this time of year?

"jamie smith" wrote in message

Gourd Speckled Swan, Chives, Borage, Rocket, Coriander, Lettuce mixed
baby leaf please reply fast thank you.

None really, you've left it too late for this year.
You could start some broad beans though.
Why do we need to reply fast, will your computer switch off for ever in a
few hours? ;-)

Old 03-10-2011, 05:31 AM
jamie smith's Avatar
Registered User

Location: england

it wouldnt suprise me if it did do that
Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jamie smith" wrote

Gourd Speckled Swan, Chives, Borage, Rocket, Coriander, Lettuce mixed
baby leaf please reply fast thank you.

"Reply fast", is it for your Homework? :-)

Lettuce will be OK provided it does not get too wintery, and in my
experience the red varieties and cos are tougher over winter than the green.
A little protection, a cloche, would help as you won't get a crop until the
spring. Growing inside on a windowsill will get them germinated by they
won't get enough light to grow properly.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.