GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Butternut Squash woes. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199919-butternut-squash-woes.html)

Paul Luton[_2_] 03-10-2011 04:17 PM

Butternut Squash woes.

Cobnut - grew seeds and planted four out in soil enriched by garden
compost. The plants grew to cover a total of about 2m x 4m. Fruits : one
massive marrow sized. two football sized and one sensible grapefruit
size. Can anyone recommend a variety/ technique to get a fair number of
smallish squash ?

Pam Moore[_2_] 03-10-2011 06:40 PM

Butternut Squash woes.

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 16:17:11 +0100, Paul Luton
wrote:

Cobnut - grew seeds and planted four out in soil enriched by garden
compost. The plants grew to cover a total of about 2m x 4m. Fruits : one
massive marrow sized. two football sized and one sensible grapefruit
size. Can anyone recommend a variety/ technique to get a fair number of
smallish squash ?

That's more than Ive got. I put in 3 squash plants. They have a good
spread of stems and leaves but no sign of fruit at all !

Pam in Bristol

kay 04-10-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Luton[_2_] (Post 938543)
Cobnut - grew seeds and planted four out in soil enriched by garden
compost. The plants grew to cover a total of about 2m x 4m. Fruits : one
massive marrow sized. two football sized and one sensible grapefruit
size. Can anyone recommend a variety/ technique to get a fair number of
smallish squash ?

Can you not just pick them at the right size? Or do you need to leave them to mature because you want to store them? Or is it that they don't develop their taste until ripe?

ladya00 04-10-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Luton[_2_] (Post 938543)
Cobnut - grew seeds and planted four out in soil enriched by garden
compost. The plants grew to cover a total of about 2m x 4m. Fruits : one
massive marrow sized. two football sized and one sensible grapefruit
size. Can anyone recommend a variety/ technique to get a fair number of
smallish squash ?

wow! if i had that from my butternut squash i would be well chuffed, count your blessings lol, im still waiting for my one solitary fruit to swell its about the size of a plum at the moment, so Im holding my breath that the weather lasts !