Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I'm sort of sad

My Lawson's cypr are gone from the front of my house, insurance claim from
my neighbours.
I held out for a while, they refused to grind out the stumps, but I insisted
that if they didn't, I would not agree.
So they came and felled them today, ground out the stumps and now it's like
there were never there.
They were great for the woodpigeons, who nested in them all the time, so I
did insist they waited until there were none.
I used to be friends with my neighbours and now, because of these trees, we
hate each other.
She will notice a difference in the winter, when her car freezes over more
without the protection from them. Good.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2011 04:56 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
My Lawson's cypr are gone from the front of my house, insurance claim from
my neighbours.

Sympathies. A sad story all around.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/10/2011 03:56, Christina Websell wrote:
My Lawson's cypr are gone from the front of my house, insurance claim from
my neighbours.
I held out for a while, they refused to grind out the stumps, but I insisted
that if they didn't, I would not agree.
So they came and felled them today, ground out the stumps and now it's like
there were never there.
They were great for the woodpigeons, who nested in them all the time, so I
did insist they waited until there were none.
I used to be friends with my neighbours and now, because of these trees, we
hate each other.
She will notice a difference in the winter, when her car freezes over more
without the protection from them. Good.

I find this post sad. Why should friends fall out over this, who did the
falling out you or your neighbour? If you, did you expect them to let
their house fall about their ears and be unable to claim from her
insurance company? The insurance company would not have required, and
paid for,the felling of the trees without good reason. a qualified
surveyor must have been involved somewhere along the line. I would like
to think that I would put anyone's house before my trees, however I've
not been there, perhaps if I had I would change my mind. Though I did
have six beautiful trees felled by the electricity authorities, as they
thought they might cause future problems with their power lines. I asked
what would happen if I did not give permission? The answer was that
eventually they would get the courts to order it thus. Perhaps that is
what would have happened eventually if you had not given permission,
also maybe you would had to bear the costs of repair to your neighbours
property.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

My Lawson's cypr are gone from the front of my house, insurance claim from
my neighbours.
I held out for a while, they refused to grind out the stumps, but I
insisted that if they didn't, I would not agree.
So they came and felled them today, ground out the stumps and now it's like
there were never there.
They were great for the woodpigeons, who nested in them all the time, so I
did insist they waited until there were none.
I used to be friends with my neighbours and now, because of these trees, we
hate each other.
She will notice a difference in the winter, when her car freezes over more
without the protection from them. Good.

Think of it as an opportunity to plant something more interesting, even
better looking.
We are going to have the large Robinia pseudoacacia "Tortuosa" down in our
front garden shortly, it's got too big and no longer looks good IMO but I
already have it's replacement growing in a pot out back, Albizia
julibrissin, which will stay much smaller and always look good.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/10/2011 03:56, Christina Websell wrote:
My Lawson's cypr are gone from the front of my house, insurance claim from
my neighbours.
I held out for a while, they refused to grind out the stumps, but I insisted
that if they didn't, I would not agree.
So they came and felled them today, ground out the stumps and now it's like
there were never there.
They were great for the woodpigeons, who nested in them all the time, so I
did insist they waited until there were none.
I used to be friends with my neighbours and now, because of these trees, we
hate each other.
She will notice a difference in the winter, when her car freezes over more
without the protection from them. Good.

This is all immensely sad. I know how attached one can become to all
manner of plants, but especially trees. It will take a while to get
used to living without them.

It's also very sad to fall out with a good neighbour and friend. Of
course you blame her for your current misery, but I do hope that, given
time, both your attitudes will soften. You suggest it will not, but do
not make your mind up to it. Let time heal the rift, if it can. This
depth of sadness and blame is all too destructive. I have read many
posts of yours over the years, and you are better and wiser than this.
Grieve because you must then, even if you can't forget, endeavour to
forgive.

Perhaps, in time, you could plant a berried bush or small tree to
appease your woodpigeons.

Take it gently.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 07-10-2011, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 03:56:39 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

They were great for the woodpigeons, who nested in them all the time,

Do you plant things that are great for rats too? Wood pigeons are a pest
species with open licence to shoot them at any time of year. Letting them
finish breeding just exacerbated someone else's pest problems. Would you
make Rentokill leave the rats alone until the babies had left the nest?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Emery Davis
writes
On 10/06/2011 04:56 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
My Lawson's cypr are gone from the front of my house, insurance claim from
my neighbours.

Sympathies. A sad story all around.

But how tall where they Christina and honestly, did they block a lot of
light from the neighbours?
If they were kept well trimmed etc. then i feel sorry for you and the
demise of said trees.
Are you now more exposed to those neighbours and what will you replace
the trees with? Maybe a wild hedge would encourage the birds as much? I
know ,y hawthorn shelters a lot of small birds.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Emery Davis
writes
On 10/06/2011 04:56 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
My Lawson's cypr are gone from the front of my house, insurance claim
from
my neighbours.

Sympathies. A sad story all around.

But how tall where they Christina and honestly, did they block a lot of
light from the neighbours?

they were getting tall, tbh but they didn't keep out light.

Are you now more exposed to those neighbours and what will you replace the
trees with?

Yes I am now more exposed, not only to my neighbours but to people walking
past, looking in.

Maybe a wild hedge would encourage the birds as much? I
know ,y hawthorn shelters a lot of small birds.
--

I'm afraid to put anything in there, tbh, now. Maybe some violas or
primulas.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
[...]

She did. I thought my resolution was a good compromise, to reduce the trees
and get the alleged damage monitored, like was done for my own house which
has had to be underpinned and that worked without taking out too many trees.
It was not acceptable, apparently and I got fed up (if I didn't answer the
door yet again) that she would bang on my windows front and side, ring my
mobile and house phone continually.
We'll see what happens. I am fairly sure my house will heave after this and
my insurance company will be asking hers to pay for the damage.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 03:56:39 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

They were great for the woodpigeons, who nested in them all the time,

Do you plant things that are great for rats too? Wood pigeons are a pest
species with open licence to shoot them at any time of year. Letting them
finish breeding just exacerbated someone else's pest problems. Would you
make Rentokill leave the rats alone until the babies had left the nest?

any bird is welcome here, Derek, and I won't do anything to destroy nests
and chicks of any bird at all. Ask yourself why you think one bird is more
important than another.
Is it because it is more common? or what?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

One of the kinder replies. Thanks.
I'll get over it soon but last Wed when I watched them being destroyed I
felt that I wanted to rush outside and stop them.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:49:48 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 03:56:39 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

They were great for the woodpigeons, who nested in them all the time,

Do you plant things that are great for rats too? Wood pigeons are a
pest species with open licence to shoot them at any time of year.
Letting them finish breeding just exacerbated someone else's pest
problems. Would you make Rentokill leave the rats alone until the
babies had left the nest?

any bird is welcome here, Derek, and I won't do anything to destroy
nests and chicks of any bird at all. Ask yourself why you think one bird
is more important than another.
Is it because it is more common? or what?

No it's because wood pigeons cost British farmers millions of pounds
each year. And thereby elevate the cost of our food. Flying rats, no
more, no less.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Do you think I am not aware of that?
However I am not speciest and was more than happy to have birds (not just
woodies) nesting in the Lawsons.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 19:41:31 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

"Moonraker" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations on winning the 'most selfish git on urg' award.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
[...]

Happy to get this award because I know the removal of the trees will cause a
heave problem in my own house within a year or so.
I don't mind you disagreeing with me - not at all - but I'd prefer that you
did not call me names.