Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What are these 'fruits' please? and are they edible?

Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186

This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

--
Don't forgive people because you're weak, forgive them
because you're strong enough to know that people make mistakes.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2011 12:46, AriesVal wrote:
Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186

This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

Japanese quince I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles

I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 12:55:05 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

On 08/10/2011 12:46, AriesVal wrote:
Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186

This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

Japanese quince I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles

I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.

Certainly looks like that. No personal experience but I've known of
people making jelly and wine from the fruits of the yellow variety,
which are edible and quite high in pectin and in vitamin C. Can't
speak for the red ones, though.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's ....
wet!

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 08/10/2011 12:46, AriesVal wrote:
Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186

This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

Japanese quince I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles

I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.

Certainly looks like that. No personal experience but I've known of
people making jelly and wine from the fruits of the yellow variety,
which are edible and quite high in pectin and in vitamin C. Can't
speak for the red ones, though.

Orange peel has a high pectin/vitamin C content, and tastes better than
a quince :-)

Old 08-10-2011, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2011 12:55, stuart noble wrote:
On 08/10/2011 12:46, AriesVal wrote:
Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186
This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

Japanese quince I think
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles
I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.

Thank you Stuart and Jake for your quick reply to my question. I know
now that they're edible but doubt very much I'll be making use of them.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 08/10/2011 12:46, AriesVal wrote:
Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186

This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

Japanese quince I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles

I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.

Certainly looks like that. No personal experience but I've known of
people making jelly and wine from the fruits of the yellow variety,
which are edible and quite high in pectin and in vitamin C. Can't
speak for the red ones, though.

Orange peel has a high pectin/vitamin C content, and tastes better than
a quince :-)

Silly us! We should look at our own faq!
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqjaponica.htm

The lady who made Japanese quince jelly said it tasted a lot better
than "real" quince though IIRC she said she boiled them and mashed to
pulp, strained them, weighed them and then added an equal weight of
sugar. Can't remember the rest of her recipe. Her hubby made wine
which was very dry but decent. He turned over about a quarter of his
allotment to growing them so there must have been some benefit!

He also always had the best tomatoes on the site which he grew in an
old greenhouse he'd erected. They were "watered" daily with the
contents of a bucket which he brought from home. We all knew what was
in the bucket!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2011 14:31, Sacha wrote:
Japanese

quince I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles

I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.

In the past, I've made jelly from them but I'm not convinced it's worth
the fiddle!

I'm not going to do anything with them either but interesting to know
what they are and their name.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote

stuart noble wrote:
, AriesVal wrote:
Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186
This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

Japanese quince I think
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles
I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.

Thank you Stuart and Jake for your quick reply to my question. I know now
that they're edible but doubt very much I'll be making use of them.

The Boss makes a Tagine dish with them in that is superb.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2011 15:00, Bob Hobden wrote:
"AriesVal" wrote

stuart noble wrote:
, AriesVal wrote:
Not apples but from one of the shrubs in my garden
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...84028215421186

This is the shrub when in flower:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174293...06377495384418

Japanese quince I think
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaenomeles
I have the pink one, and have never found a use for the fruit.

Thank you Stuart and Jake for your quick reply to my question. I know
now that they're edible but doubt very much I'll be making use of them.

The Boss makes a Tagine dish with them in that is superb.

Really! Now we need the recipe

Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'AriesVal[_12_
I'm not going to do anything with them either but interesting to know
what they are and their name.
They've got a similar scented taste to them like quince. One or two make a nice addition to apple pie or apple crumble.

The jelly is worth it if you have enough, but most jams and jellies are a lot of bother unless you've got enough to make about 6lbs. Usual method applies - extract juice (by boiling then squashing, a fruit press is useful), add 1lb sugar to each pint of juice, boil till small drop cooled on a saucer wrinkles when you push it with your finger. Worth straining the juice if you want jewel-like clarity. It's one of those jellies which tastes really good with fatty meats or with poultry.

I suppose you could make quince paste with them too - very intense taste, very sweet, cut into small squares for nibbles. Portuguese origin - portuguese for quince is marmelo, hence marmalade.

I always leave them, because they look so attractive, and I'd only be able to pick about a pound, if that.
__________________

Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
The Boss makes a Tagine dish with them in that is superb.

Really! Now we need the recipe

That will teach me to open my mouth! I guessed someone would ask as soon as
I sent the reply but it's a long recipe, too complicated for me to type out,
so if you mail me I will gladly scan the page and send it to you and anyone
else that is interested.
It's called "Baked Tagine of Lamb with Quinces, Figs and Honey".
My e-mail address is the plural of my surname at BT internet spot com.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2011 21:38, Bob Hobden wrote:
The Boss makes a Tagine dish with them in that is superb.

Really! Now we need the recipe

That will teach me to open my mouth! I guessed someone would ask as soon
as I sent the reply but it's a long recipe, too complicated for me to
type out, so if you mail me I will gladly scan the page and send it to
you and anyone else that is interested.
It's called "Baked Tagine of Lamb with Quinces, Figs and Honey".
My e-mail address is the plural of my surname at BT internet spot com.

No need Bob as I found the recipe online, but thanks for the offer.
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/artic...gine-clay.html

Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/10/2011 21:17, kay wrote:
'AriesVal[_12_ Wrote:

[...]

How interesting, thank you Kay

Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
AriesVal wrote:
On 08/10/2011 21:17, kay wrote:

I suppose you could make quince paste with them too - very intense
taste, very sweet, cut into small squares for nibbles. Portuguese origin
- portuguese for quince is marmelo, hence marmalade.

I always leave them, because they look so attractive, and I'd only be
able to pick about a pound, if that.

How interesting, thank you Kay

I could produce easily over 20 pounds! But cheese (or paste) made
with those isn't all that sweet, because they are VERY acid; it IS
very sweet made with true quinces.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.