Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered User

Default Hi Introducing my self

I'm gordon from teesside I worked for the local parks so I know a little though out of date plants are always the same
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"theporter2000" wrote in message

Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

You could try subscribing to uk.rec.gardening directly NOT through
gardenbanter!

--
theporter2000

Old 10-10-2011, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/10/2011 19:40, theporter2000 wrote:
Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

Why not run a Windows garden planning program under Wine?

--

Jeff
Old 10-10-2011, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2011 11:16 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 09/10/2011 19:40, theporter2000 wrote:
Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

Why not run a Windows garden planning program under Wine?

May be easier said than done. I'd think the best bet would be to try
and find something web- or java-based.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote ...

Jeff Layman wrote:
theporter2000 wrote:
Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

Why not run a Windows garden planning program under Wine?

May be easier said than done. I'd think the best bet would be to try
and find something web- or java-based.

But we have agreed in the past that only the expensive professional programs
are worth buying, the cheap stuff does not work that well. Expensive
programs normally do run on Linux as it's the default OS choice of a lot of
companies.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/10/2011 02:24 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Emery Davis" wrote ...

Jeff Layman wrote:
theporter2000 wrote:
Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

Why not run a Windows garden planning program under Wine?

May be easier said than done. I'd think the best bet would be to try
and find something web- or java-based.

But we have agreed in the past that only the expensive professional
programs are worth buying, the cheap stuff does not work that well.
Expensive programs normally do run on Linux as it's the default OS
choice of a lot of companies.

Heh. Would that it were so!

Firstly, Wine is a windows emulator that allows some but not all windows
programs to run under linux. For example my wife would like to run
Office 2010, but Wine does not support it (or didn't last I looked).

Linux is great for scientific, and various industrial applications. But
for anything mass markets Windows (and by an order of magnitude less
Mac) still retains a stranglehold.

I don't think it's accurate to say that "expensive programs normally do
run on Linux", but if there are _any_ garden design programs that do,
you'll be helping the OP out (and maybe me too).

cheers,

-E
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
theporter2000 wrote:
[...]

Made contact with my Linux guru who says he knows of nothing. Any
program that relies on .NET (which most modern Windows stuff does)
won't run under Wine.

There was some talk a while back of someone going on about developing
something to run on Ubuntu but nothing came of it AFAIK, though there
was a lot of interest.

Over the years I've looked at several "consumer" garden design
programs and, frankly, the Linux community isn't losing out on much!
The only real benefit of the Windows programs is a decent plant
database (if they have one).

My favoured approach has always been to take a photo out of an
upstairs window, print it out as big as I can (A3 if poss) and then
doodle all over it.

The current garden was designed entirely by moles. Virgin territory
meant waking up each morning to more mole hills. So I just laid out
paths and beds to match the hill pattern. Moles generally move out
when they're disturbed and the occasional interloper is now dealt with
very efficiently by the cat (who also takes care of next door's
occasional moles for a small treat). But I digress. I've never met a
mole that understands Linux (back on topic )

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's ....
wet!

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 25-10-2011, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-09 19:40:39 +0100, theporter2000
said:

Does any on no of garden planning software for linux

I can't give you specific names, though garden design programs do exist.
We've been asked that question on uk.rec.gardening many times over the
years and the overall view seems to be that the 'back of an envelope'
method is preferred!
--
Sacha

why do people think design of their gardens as if there were in a
helicopter? (ie two dimensional).

Japanese gardens designers in Japan (which are the best in the world by a
long chalk) find one or two places that are best to sit in to view the
garden and then design around those focal points.

The pruning of their trees is a sight to behold. They thin out willow trees
(amongst other trees) until they are beautiful wispy things. Never seen that
done here.