Old 13-10-2011, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Borlotti Beans

I have had quite a good crop, but they seem very reluctant to dry out.
About half have been picked and shelled, but the remainder are still
quite fleshy and colourful on the plant. The trouble is, they are now
begining to go very damp and mouldy, partly due to the weather I
suspect.

Should I pick them and allow them to dry indoors, or pod them like peas
then allow them to dry?

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 14-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin View Post
I have had quite a good crop, but they seem very reluctant to dry out.
About half have been picked and shelled, but the remainder are still
quite fleshy and colourful on the plant. The trouble is, they are now
begining to go very damp and mouldy, partly due to the weather I
suspect.

Should I pick them and allow them to dry indoors, or pod them like peas
then allow them to dry?
Pick them, pod them, and dry them indoors.
Old 14-10-2011, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Roger Tonkin wrote:

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Bummer. I was hoping you were in Newcastle[1]

[1] For some reason, Borlotti Beans is one of those phrases that I
always hear in a Geordie accent, along with Kawasaki and Taramasalata.
And then there's the Apple MP3 Player made specifically for Geordies -
the "Why-Ay" Pod.

--
Chris
Old 14-10-2011, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote
[1] For some reason, Borlotti Beans is one of those phrases that I
always hear in a Geordie accent, along with Kawasaki and Taramasalata.
And then there's the Apple MP3 Player made specifically for Geordies -
the "Why-Ay" Pod.

Now you mention it, the word Borlotti does sort of lend itself to the
accent. Now every time I read it I'm going to get a mental Geordie echo!

--
Sue

Old 15-10-2011, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

echinosum wrote:
Should I pick them and allow them to dry indoors, or pod them like peas
then allow them to dry?

Pick them, pod them, and dry them indoors.

Hmm, I'd agree to drying indoors, but would leave them in the pods to dry,
as I've foudn they discolour if you pod them first. Have you had success
with them drying outside of the pod?

Borlotti Beans garden-addicted Edible Gardening 1 04-08-2011 11:49 AM
Borlotti beans Ann Lancing United Kingdom 2 29-11-2010 09:07 PM
Borlotti Beans Roger Tonkin United Kingdom 2 18-10-2010 12:03 AM
Borlotti beans shazzbat United Kingdom 2 14-09-2010 02:23 AM
Borlotti beans shazzbat United Kingdom 2 16-08-2006 09:45 AM