GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hay fever. At this time of year? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/200078-hay-fever-time-year.html)

Michael Bell 18-10-2011 05:25 PM

Hay fever. At this time of year?

I have been feeling "under the weather" for a few weeks. It's not very
defineable, but one symptom is a ferociously itchy nose. And
Cetirizine, the treatment for hay fever, did a lot of good.

Of course it doesn't have to be POLLEN. Fungus spores might do just
the same. It stopped suddenly 2 days ago, and I feel fit again. I live
in Newcastle. Any comments?

Michael Bell

Moonraker 18-10-2011 06:21 PM

Hay fever. At this time of year?

On 18/10/2011 17:51, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:43:42 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:25:57 +0100, Michael Bell
wrote:

I have been feeling "under the weather" for a few weeks. It's not very
defineable, but one symptom is a ferociously itchy nose. And
Cetirizine, the treatment for hay fever, did a lot of good.

Of course it doesn't have to be POLLEN. Fungus spores might do just
the same. It stopped suddenly 2 days ago, and I feel fit again. I live
in Newcastle. Any comments?

on Tyne or under Lyme?

Caused by ragweed pollen according to a national newspaper

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...e-2372038.html

Newcastle is one of the most common town names.Which one is yours?

Malcolm 18-10-2011 06:26 PM

wrote:

I have been feeling "under the weather" for a few weeks. It's not very
defineable, but one symptom is a ferociously itchy nose. And
Cetirizine, the treatment for hay fever, did a lot of good.

Of course it doesn't have to be POLLEN. Fungus spores might do just
the same. It stopped suddenly 2 days ago, and I feel fit again. I live
in Newcastle. Any comments?

on Tyne or under Lyme?

Caused by ragweed pollen according to a national newspaper

I have suffered from 'Hay Fever' since the age of 7 (now 65) Over the
years the stimulus has cahnged from grass pollen to tree pollen, but I
have an allergy which has developed to potatoes. If I peel potatoes the
?mist of juices? from peeling potatoes produces an athma like reaction
and if any juice reaches my eyes, there is a very irritant reaction.
This has only developed in the last few years (and no - it is not
because I want SWMBO to peel the potatoes instead of me). It seems to
me that allergies develop and change during life

Malcolm

Michael Bell 19-10-2011 06:47 AM

Hay fever. At this time of year?

wrote:

I have been feeling "under the weather" for a few weeks. It's not very
defineable, but one symptom is a ferociously itchy nose. And
Cetirizine, the treatment for hay fever, did a lot of good.

Of course it doesn't have to be POLLEN. Fungus spores might do just
the same. It stopped suddenly 2 days ago, and I feel fit again. I live
in Newcastle. Any comments?

on Tyne or under Lyme?

Caused by ragweed pollen according to a national newspaper

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...the-green-hayf
ever-machine-2372038.html

Ragweed is not yet established in Britain and certainly not in
Northern England, where there is the one and only NEWCASTLE - ON -
TYNE.

[email protected] 19-10-2011 08:39 AM

Hay fever. At this time of year?

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 06:47:26 +0100, Michael Bell
wrote:

Ragweed is not yet established in Britain and certainly not in
Northern England, where there is the one and only NEWCASTLE - ON -
TYNE.

oddly there is only one Newcastle under Lyme too :-)
Navigation system route planners tend to always pick the wrong
Newcastle.

Posted within spitting distance of the real Newcastle

Which? Monmouthshire or Shropshire?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Michael Bell 19-10-2011 01:54 PM

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. I only started to springtime hay fever in my 50s, it took me a
while to recognise it, then it faded away, to be replaced by this
autumn hay fever. Funny!

Michael Bell

kay 19-10-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] (Post 939797)
oddly there is only one Newcastle under Lyme too :-)
Navigation system route planners tend to always pick the wrong
Newcastle.

Try buying a rail ticket to Clapham!

Apparently the village now needs to be called Claphamnorthyorkshire, otherwise they'll try to charge you £200 and send you to some place south of London.

jcsites 20-10-2011 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bell (Post 939770)
I have been feeling "under the weather" for a few weeks. It's not very
defineable, but one symptom is a ferociously itchy nose. And
Cetirizine, the treatment for hay fever, did a lot of good.

Of course it doesn't have to be POLLEN. Fungus spores might do just
the same. It stopped suddenly 2 days ago, and I feel fit again. I live
in Newcastle. Any comments?

Michael Bell

--

I know that Citirizine is drug for anti allergy. Are you allergic to cold weather? You should stay on a tropical weather country...

echinosum 20-10-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bell (Post 939770)
I have been feeling "under the weather" for a few weeks. It's not very defineable, but one symptom is a ferociously itchy nose. And Cetirizine, the treatment for hay fever, did a lot of good.

I have suffered autumn hayfever, albeit not in Britain. In Britain, I sometimes get a bit of spring hayfever from tree-pollen, depending upon the weather that year, but that's all. The only other incidents have been abroad, and in the local autumn. The very worst I have ever had was one late October in Greece. I had no problem when on low ground among the cultivated fields, I had no problem when on very high ground in the pine forests. But at intermediate altitudes in the mediterranean shrublands, I was streaming. I don't know what it could have been as there was very little in flower. I have also been to Greece a couple of times in spring, and had no problem. I had a problem bad enough to be taking tablets in Patagonia in the local early autumn period (March). That was in the humid climates of the west coast - inland in the semi-arid shrublands it didn't seem to be a problem. Funny how things vary.

So, yes, there can be stuff in the air in autumn to bother people, depending upon weather and vegetation.