Old 22-10-2011, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Care of Ashmead's Kernel Apple Trees

I've grown this splendid apple for around 9 years and I'm starting to get
the hang of it. So I've put up a web page:

http://snipurl.com/ashmeadskernel

I'm assuming that you know how to grow apples or have read up on it.
What's here is information specific to this particular variety. Even more
narrowly, I mainly stick to information that other web sites don't
mention.

Steve - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit
Old 22-10-2011, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/10/2011 12:03, Steve Harris wrote:
I've grown this splendid apple for around 9 years and I'm starting to get
the hang of it. So I've put up a web page:

http://snipurl.com/ashmeadskernel

I'm assuming that you know how to grow apples or have read up on it.
What's here is information specific to this particular variety. Even more
narrowly, I mainly stick to information that other web sites don't
mention.

Steve - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit

Thanks for that Steve, as I have an Ashmead's Kernel I found it most
interesting.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-22, Steve Harris wrote:
I've grown this splendid apple for around 9 years and I'm starting to get
the hang of it. So I've put up a web page:

http://snipurl.com/ashmeadskernel

I'm assuming that you know how to grow apples or have read up on it.
What's here is information specific to this particular variety. Even more
narrowly, I mainly stick to information that other web sites don't
mention.

Steve - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit

Hi Steve, I've got an Ashmead Kernel, planted 23 years ago.
Like you I really really enjoy the apples - it's by far my favorite
variety.

I'm near Wakefield, and I harvest the apples bit by bit from late october
to December, storms allowing! Any tried before mid October are usually
too sharp and the flesh "floury".

The ones picked in Nov/Dec are usually superb straight off the tree. I
store all mine in the cellar and eat them into Feb/Mar. The flesh puckers
up a bit, but the flavour is still good.

I did get bitter pit, but sorted it with some liming, and luckily don't
suffer from brown rot damage etc.

I have an apple press, and fresh A.K. apple juice is very sweet - too
sweet for my taste, I like a bite to my apple juice, but the grandkids
love it.

Re. bienniel cropping, On a heavy crop year, I always strip a few branches
completely of apples in June, early July. And thin the rest. That way
I always get apples on the stripped branches the next year and some others
too.

All the best
Jim