Old 23-10-2011, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Japanese Knotweed

Usual over-the-top Daily Mail reporting, but the pictures are
interesting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-knotweed.html
Old 23-10-2011, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:13:33 +0100, RG wrote:

Usual over-the-top Daily Mail reporting, but the pictures are
interesting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-knotweed.html

That's horrendous!

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-10-2011, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:11:22 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

That's horrendous!

It's a load of rubbish.

Indeed. It will need a look of work and expense to remove the knotweed and
prevent reinfestation, but demolishing the house is ridiculous.
I do feel sorry for them though because the history will stay with the
house and may affect the resale value.
Old 23-10-2011, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 23, 2:13*pm, RG wrote:
Usual over-the-top Daily Mail reporting, but the pictures are *
interesting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dshire-couple-...

What a load of ********. I have got rid of the stuff myself on a few
occasions with roundup. Just needs a general zap with a strong mix,
leave for a week, cut down and pour more weedkiller down the hollow
stalks.

I find mares tails more of a problem.
Old 23-10-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Oct 23, 2:13 pm, RG wrote:
Usual over-the-top Daily Mail reporting, but the pictures are
interesting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dshire-couple-...

What a load of ********. I have got rid of the stuff myself on a few
occasions with roundup. Just needs a general zap with a strong mix,
leave for a week, cut down and pour more weedkiller down the hollow
stalks.

I find mares tails more of a problem.
.................................................. ............

Yes but that story wouldn't be sensational enough. I could tell you a story
about a saga which went on for quite some time about a cruise ship.
"Headline Stuff", but when the problems were over they didn't want to know
anything about it. Could tell you the story but it is
sooooooooooooooooooooooooo Off Topic I would be told off ;-))

Mike

Old 23-10-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote ...

, nospamigg1937says...

That's horrendous!

It's a load of rubbish.

I must admit when I read they let it invade their garden and did nothing
about it I became a bit sceptical about this story. As for the pulling down
of the house that is stupid. If they are frightened of the weedkiller then
move into an Hotel for a few weeks, has to be cheaper than pulling down the
house etc.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 23-10-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Janet" wrote ...

, nospamigg1937says...

That's horrendous!

It's a load of rubbish.

I must admit when I read they let it invade their garden and did nothing
about it I became a bit sceptical about this story. As for the pulling
down of the house that is stupid. If they are frightened of the weedkiller
then move into an Hotel for a few weeks, has to be cheaper than pulling
down the house etc.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Bob will you please stop being sensible?

This is urg,.............. not the real world.

Mike

Old 23-10-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/10/2011 17:04, harry wrote:
On Oct 23, 2:13 pm, wrote:
Usual over-the-top Daily Mail reporting, but the pictures are
interesting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dshire-couple-...

What a load of ********. I have got rid of the stuff myself on a few
occasions with roundup. Just needs a general zap with a strong mix,
leave for a week, cut down and pour more weedkiller down the hollow
stalks.

I find mares tails more of a problem.

Typical Daily Mail. Before reading an article I always glance at the
source - if it is Daily Mail I never take it seriously.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 23-10-2011, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:39:59 +0100, RG wrote:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:11:22 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

That's horrendous!

It's a load of rubbish.

Indeed. It will need a look of work and expense to remove the knotweed and
prevent reinfestation, but demolishing the house is ridiculous.
I do feel sorry for them though because the history will stay with the
house and may affect the resale value.

Particularly as they seem to have cashed in and, presumably, taken
some money from the Snail to publish their story to every estate
agent, mortgage lender and wotnot.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where about the
same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 23-10-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:39:59 +0100, RG wrote:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:11:22 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

That's horrendous!
It's a load of rubbish.

Indeed. It will need a look of work and expense to remove the knotweed and
prevent reinfestation, but demolishing the house is ridiculous.
I do feel sorry for them though because the history will stay with the
house and may affect the resale value.

Particularly as they seem to have cashed in and, presumably, taken
some money from the Snail to publish their story to every estate
agent, mortgage lender and wotnot.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where about the
same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

www.rivendell.org.uk

But that is publicity, and if you are in business, you grab every
opportunity to 'advertise', especially if it is free.

Percy Whiting in his book "The Five Great Rules of Selling" advocated
"ATTENTION" as the first rule. What are they doing?

Look around you.

Kind regards

Mike

Old 23-10-2011, 08:56 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On Oct 23, 2:13*pm, RG wrote:
Usual over-the-top Daily Mail reporting, but the pictures are *
interesting...

News | Mail Online...

What a load of ********. I have got rid of the stuff myself on a few
occasions with roundup. Just needs a general zap with a strong mix,
leave for a week, cut down and pour more weedkiller down the hollow
stalks.

I find mares tails more of a problem.
The suggested measure are interesting - " Immediately create a 21ft exclusion zone around the suspect plant" - that requires that the shortest dimension of your garden should be 42ft - a lot of town dwellers don't have that luxury!
__________________
Old 24-10-2011, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:51:47 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

I must admit when I read they let it invade their garden and did nothing
about it I became a bit sceptical about this story.

Most people wouldn't recognise japanese knotweed or realise how
tricky it can be to remove(*). It's not overly invasive, yes it
spreads but not as bad as some plants.

One of the comments is telling. How does this plant get through the
4" concrete slab and polythene damp proof membrane to appear inside
the house behind skirtings etc. Why isn't there a NHBC guarantee?
Perhaps the house needs to be demolished 'cause it ain't built
properly...

(*) Though it doesn't like glyphosphate at all. I reckon it gets it's
reputation of being "difficult to remove" from the fact it can
regenerate from a tiny bit left in the ground. Cutting down and/or
digging out is not really an option unless you take *everything*,
soil the lot, away to a "hazardous waste" site for disposal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-10-2011, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
One of the comments is telling. How does this plant get through the
4" concrete slab and polythene damp proof membrane to appear inside
the house behind skirtings etc. Why isn't there a NHBC guarantee?
Perhaps the house needs to be demolished 'cause it ain't built
properly.

Well i know that a Campsis climber was found behind a sofa growing out
of the skirting of a 1930's house in Amersham! Fairly sure the house
was sound, they didn't knock it down, just killed the plant outside just
in case it came up anywhere else!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-10-2011, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , kay.91a3116
says...

The suggested measure are interesting - " Immediately create a
21ft exclusion zone around the suspect plant" - that requires that the
shortest dimension of your garden should be 42ft - a lot of town
dwellers don't have that luxury!

Or "Wash feet and clean shoes when leaving the contaminated area".
I'd like to see that imposed on the local postman.

"unless the detached house is demolished...it will be impossible to
sell" ???

"Demolished house for sale" should certainly attract viewers.

"Building plot for sale. Guaranteed Japanese knotweed free."

Janet

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-10-2011, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , kay.91a3116
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

The suggested measure are interesting - " Immediately create a
21ft exclusion zone around the suspect plant" - that requires that the
shortest dimension of your garden should be 42ft - a lot of town
dwellers don't have that luxury!

Or "Wash feet and clean shoes when leaving the contaminated area".
I'd like to see that imposed on the local postman.

"unless the detached house is demolished...it will be impossible to
sell" ???

"Demolished house for sale" should certainly attract viewers.

Janet

It's not wise to demolish something and then apply for planning permission.
When I was in Leicester, I had a single garage on a plot of land at the side
of the house. I wanted to put a double there to get my car, a Jag in and my
boat, a Shetland. I did all the drawings of what I wanted and submitted
them. Planning permission refused. 'Nothing is to be put on there. There is
a 36 inch main sewer 12 feet under there and we may need access to it'.

'You've got a problem then Mr Leicester City Council because there is a
brick garage there built when the house was built in the 30's. Tell you
what, I will do a deal with you. I will put a double door at the front
because that is what I want, and a single door at the back in line with the
track of the sewer. My builder has suggested that the concrete floor has a
separate section in it so if you want to get in there, open up the front,
open up the back and away you go. Either that or the garage stays and you
have the expense of demolishing it and rebuilding it as it is afterwards'

Planning Permission Granted. Got what I wanted.

Had I demolished the garage FIRST

Mike

japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese bamboo knotweed Tim923 Plant Science 9 24-07-2004 10:50 AM
Japanese knotweed pics Tim923 Gardening 5 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM