Old 24-10-2011, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flowering chickweed

I have been using Ryecorn ( a variety of ryegrass sold by Tuckers) as
an overwintering green manure over the last few years.It has been sown
late August (sometimes with clover) and I usually turn it in about the
following February.
This year particularly there is a lot of chickweed coming up through
the ryegrass,and one can see the flowers on the weed above the
ryegrass.I am not sure that the chickweed is seeding yet,but I am
concerned that it maybe lower down the plant which I cannot see.
A previous allotment colleague once told me not to put chickweed onto
the compost heap since it will keep on growing and produce seed into
the compost.
It is totally impractical to weed out the chickweed-I tried about a
few weeks ago and it has come through strongly again.
Should I dig it in now and hope that the flowering weed will rot under
the soil,or is it OK to leave until next February and hope that the
frost kills off the chickweed?
Michael

Flowering chickweed michael United Kingdom 9 27-10-2011 11:47 PM
Chickweed Killer pixi Gardening 4 15-12-2004 11:59 AM
Chickweed DRE Gardening 2 30-05-2004 04:02 AM
Chickweed rampit. [email protected] Lawns 2 14-05-2004 07:02 AM
Chickweed Seven United Kingdom 9 23-10-2003 02:14 PM