Old 24-10-2011, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do I propagate bamboo?

What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it?
Also what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait
until spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.

Thanks!

Old 24-10-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Calum Grant" wrote in message
What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it? Also
what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait until
spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.

Thanks!

A lot of people will be wondering "how do I get rid of bamboo?", methinks
:-)

Old 24-10-2011, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

"Calum Grant" wrote in message
What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it? Also
what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait until
spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.

Thanks!

A lot of people will be wondering "how do I get rid of bamboo?", methinks
:-)

Not least the owners of the house near me where the bamboo has escaped from
the garden and is now half way across the pavement (yes, coming up through
the tarmac) on it's way to the road.

But to answer the OP, what could be simpler than digging up a bit, just hack
off a bit with a bit of root, it's not as if you're going to kill it. And
yes, it is inconsiderate. If you plant it near me it's grounds for a smack
in the mouth.

Steve

Old 25-10-2011, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

/
/Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it?
/Also what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait
/until spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
/neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.
/

Our bamboo (exact name unknown) grows to a max of 4'. It outgrew it's 18"
dia tub, so I split it into 4 pieces last October. All 4 pieces are doing
fine - 2 in pots and 2 back in the ground.

Old 25-10-2011, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Calum Grant" wrote in message
What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it? Also
what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait until
spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.

Thanks!

Splitting a good size chunk off is the best way, include some of the
existing stems but you can reduce their height to make it easier to handle
and reduce water loss while its re establishing.

You should only ever plant Bamboo where you can work all around it, there is
no such thing as a non spreading Bamboo, I have one near a boundary and
maintain a trench between it and the wall so I can see if it starts to move
in that direction, you definitely need to keep an eye on them. The barrier
sold for the job does not work particularly well and I would not rely on it,
best to check at least once a year, remember they can send runners 12' under
ground before sending a shoot up so check around the clumps every year
because at that stage the runners are not well rooted and can be easily
removed.
Do not assume past good behavior will continue, Bamboo grow in cycles,
building up strength below ground before expanding (often rapidly)

Don't get me wrong I like them and have several, but like Leylandii hedges,
not properly looked after they are anti social menace!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 25-10-2011, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

"Calum Grant" wrote in message

/What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
/bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.
/
/Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it?
/Also what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait
/until spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
/neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.
/

Our bamboo (exact name unknown) grows to a max of 4'. It outgrew it's 18"
dia tub, so I split it into 4 pieces last October. All 4 pieces are doing
fine - 2 in pots and 2 back in the ground.

================================================== =================================================

You can get bamboo that clumps and not spreads. Which we did nearly 20 yrs
ago, unbeknown to us about seven years later it had spread a lot before it
really started appearing above ground, here and there and in the neigbours.
We had to dig up huge amounts using a 6' long metal builders levering pole.
Absolute nightmare.

We like bamboo, but only ever plant in 'sunken' plastic water tanks. Beware,
ten or more years down the road and you might never get rid of it. We have
never been able to get rid of it and are still are pulling up shoots.
Probably never will, because the neighbours are lax about pulling up their
shoots, so in time it will come back to us again. On the other side the
neighbours curse us about it. You have been warned.

Old 25-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Location: Norwich
Talking

Go to France and you'll see what a problem Bamboo can be it is incredibly hard to get rid of once established so if you do plant else where make sure you do it in a strong sunken pot with the rim above the ground otherwise you'll be creating huge problems for yourself AND your poor neighbours!
__________________
http://pot-tastic.co.uk/

We've got lots of pots!
Old 25-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum Grant View Post
What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have plenty of established
bamboo to take from, but want to start a patch elsewhere.

Is there a simpler way than just digging some up and splitting it?
Also what time of year is better (I'm guessing I will have to wait
until spring). Finally, is it inconsiderate to plant bamboo next to a
neighbour's fence where it might spread, the height is around 4m.
Dividing (major divisions) is the simplest method, however it is not guaranteed to work with all types of bamboo.

Rhizome cuttings are probably less physically demanding to achieve than major divisions. But they require greater skill in the nursery to take. Some bamboos will take from culm cuttings, but in general do not include any of the kinds that will grow in the UK.
Old 25-10-2011, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Potman" wrote in message

Go to France and you'll see what a problem Bamboo can be it is
incredibly hard to get rid of once established so if you do plant else
where make sure you do it in a strong sunken pot with the rim above the
ground otherwise you'll be creating huge problems for yourself AND your
poor neighbours!
Potman

================================================== ===============================

make sure the hole in the bottom of the pot is blocked off with fibre glass
resin

Old 25-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
there is no such thing as a non spreading Bamboo,
True, but there is an important distinction between true clumping bamboos and running bamboos. The main kinds of true clumpers you can grow in Britain are Fargesia, Thamnocalamus and Borinda species, though some of these are large bamboos and will make large clumps. But none of them are going to send up a shoot 6 feet away or 20 feet away like some of the runners can. There is an intermediate kind, which are sort of clumping, but make very loose large clumps, so in practice they are more like running. Yushania is the main example of this in the ones you can grow here. Unfortunately it is very difficult to distinguish Yushania from Borinda and Fargesia taxonomically. Some Fargesia scabrida have been unusually rampant for a Fargesia, and may turn out to be a Yushania. Or there may be no clear distinction between these genuses, and all one can eventually say is that some are more clumping than others.

Some of the runners don't run very much in British growing conditions. Many people's Black Bamboo doesn't run, but other peoples' does, so it is hard to be precisely knowledgeable about what will happen in your case. I have 4 running bamboos in my garden and none of them has run .... yet! But then the well-drained Chiltern plateau is not exactly the kind of conditions that encourage such behaviour. Especially since I don't water or feed them very much.

Old 25-10-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:39:56 +0000, Potman
wrote:

Go to France and you'll see what a problem Bamboo can be it is
incredibly hard to get rid of once established so if you do plant else
where make sure you do it in a strong sunken pot with the rim above the
ground otherwise you'll be creating huge problems for yourself AND your
poor neighbours!

Is that their equivalent of knotweed?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 25-10-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Go to France and you'll see what a problem Bamboo can be it is
incredibly hard to get rid of once established so if you do plant else
where make sure you do it in a strong sunken pot with the rim above the
ground otherwise you'll be creating huge problems for yourself AND your
poor neighbours!

Is that their equivalent of knotweed?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

That depends on the type of bamboo
Old 26-10-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-10-24 21:53:03 +0000, shazzbat said:

"BAC" wrote in message

[...]

Charming! Now I remember why I don't hang out on usenet much.

But, I've decided against using it for hedging because I don't want to
upset my neighbour, and I'll go for willow "fedge" instead.

Old 26-10-2011, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

wrote:

Go to France and you'll see what a problem Bamboo can be it is
incredibly hard to get rid of once established so if you do plant else
where make sure you do it in a strong sunken pot with the rim above the
ground otherwise you'll be creating huge problems for yourself AND your
poor neighbours!

Is that their equivalent of knotweed?

They have JK in France, too. Just as we also have some problem infestations
of bamboo in the UK. Both can be very difficult to eradicate, or to contain.

Old 26-10-2011, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Calum Grant" wrote ...

shazzbat said:

"BAC" wrote in message
"Calum Grant"wrote What's the best way to propagate bamboo? I have
[...]

Whilst I wouldn't have said it quite that way if Steves little heart felt
comment upsets you perhaps it is a good thing that you don't frequent Usenet
much. :-)

Anyway, most big gardens surround their Bamboo with a thick plastic barrier
dug in which obviously does the job of stopping it spreading. Find out what
it is and use that along your fence line to stop it attacking your
neighbours garden. Tell you neighbour what you have done too so they don't
panic.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Propagate Jasmine? O United Kingdom 4 08-07-2003 03:08 AM
Do hyacinths propagate? John Bachman Ponds 18 18-06-2003 04:44 PM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 07:26 AM
when do swords propagate? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 01-04-2003 06:56 PM
Evergreen Clematis Armandi - propagate? [email protected] Gardening 2 20-03-2003 03:08 PM