Old 28-10-2011, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on turf please.

Hi, we have a small sheltered area, which used to be home to spirea which I
have now dug up, we are making a "secret garden" in there, we have enclosed
it with assorted tall shrubs, but want to lay a small amount of turf, to
make a leaf shape which will be in the middle of crazy paving. we will buy
max 8'x8' of turf,and play around with the pattern when its down. Question
is, is it too late in the year to lay the turf, any special precautions to
take before or after. North west, Formby, just south of Southport, 3miles
inland.sandy to fair soil.

Thanks.

Sheila.

Old 28-10-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:50:18 +0100, "sheila"
wrote:

Hi, we have a small sheltered area, which used to be home to spirea which I
have now dug up, we are making a "secret garden" in there, we have enclosed
it with assorted tall shrubs, but want to lay a small amount of turf, to
make a leaf shape which will be in the middle of crazy paving. we will buy
max 8'x8' of turf,and play around with the pattern when its down. Question
is, is it too late in the year to lay the turf, any special precautions to
take before or after. North west, Formby, just south of Southport, 3miles
inland.sandy to fair soil.

Thanks.

Sheila.

You're in the middle of the prime turf laying season now so go ahead
time-wise. However, if you have what will become a very shaded area,
surrounded by tall shrubs, then turf may not do that well and it might
be better to wait until the spring and then sow the area with a grass
seed mix designed for a shady area. This will also be a lot cheaper
and the wait will give an opportunity for the patch of ground to
settle and for any rogue weed seedlings to appear and be removed in
the spring before you sow the grass - making sure there are no weeds
waiting underground is important as you cannot use lawn weedkillers
for at least a year and won't want to dig holes in your newly laid
turf!

Turves are normally 1'x3' so you'll need about 27 - lay them "bigger"
than the size you want and cut to shape once the turves have bound to
the soil - that way you'll get a cleaner edge to your pattern.

If you do decide to turf, it's best to order the turf rather than buy
what's already on display at the local garden centre - it may have
been on display for some time. OTOH, you may have difficulty getting
delivery quickly (you should preferably lay the turf within the next
3-4 weeks - before it gets too cold and ground freezes). In the
meantime, prepare the ground well, dig over and rake to give a fine,
level tilth. Rake in some general fertiliser such as Growmore while
you're at it.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's about
the same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

The cat's web site is at www.pillie.me.uk.
Old 29-10-2011, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Thanks Jake for a very informative post, we shall read and digest, but from
what you say I think we shall wait until spring, we may decide to alter the
layout over winter!

Thanks again.

Sheila.

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 07:57 PM
advice on laying turf alec green United Kingdom 3 18-09-2006 10:48 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 11:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 02:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 12:20 PM