Old 29-10-2011, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A problem with leeks

Normally I have no problem with leeks, this year is an exception. They
have grown normally, however when I came to use the first, yesterday ,
on cutting them there are rust colour thin "trails" along the leeks.
These persist most of the way through them. Any ideas as to what the
problem might be and how I can avoid it in the future please?
Old 29-10-2011, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote

Normally I have no problem with leeks, this year is an exception. They have
grown normally, however when I came to use the first, yesterday , on
cutting them there are rust colour thin "trails" along the leeks. These
persist most of the way through them. Any ideas as to what the problem
might be and how I can avoid it in the future please?

I'm afraid to say that sounds like Leek Moth. Did you notice if the leaves
of your leeks looked like they had been at war this year, a bit ragged at
the tips to say the least? You may also notice small net like cocoons on the
leaves.
If it's Leek Moth there is nothing you can do and you will get it every year
from now as it's now got to your area. We have had it for years and find the
plants seem to grow through the infestation, especially if they are planted
a bit later than normal.
I've also had them attack onions at the neck. :-(
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 29-10-2011, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 29, 4:20*pm, Moonraker wrote:
Normally I have no problem with leeks, this year is an exception. They
have grown normally, however when I came to use the first, yesterday ,
on cutting them there are rust colour thin "trails" along the leeks.
These persist most of the way through them. Any ideas as to what the
problem might be and how I can avoid it in the future please?

I think some kind of mineral deficiency can cause this too. Maybe due
to the dry weather? (Potassium?)
Old 29-10-2011, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Oct 29, 7:54*pm, harry wrote:
On Oct 29, 4:20*pm, Moonraker wrote:

Normally I have no problem with leeks, this year is an exception. They
have grown normally, however when I came to use the first, yesterday ,
on cutting them there are rust colour thin "trails" along the leeks.
These persist most of the way through them. Any ideas as to what the
problem might be and how I can avoid it in the future please?

I think some kind of mineral deficiency can cause this too. Maybe due
to the dry weather? (Potassium?)

I just wonder if this could be a mild attack of Fusarium Basal Rot
Old 31-10-2011, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 29, 3:20*pm, Moonraker wrote:
Normally I have no problem with leeks, this year is an exception. They
have grown normally, however when I came to use the first, yesterday ,
on cutting them there are rust colour thin "trails" along the leeks.
These persist most of the way through them. Any ideas as to what the
problem might be and how I can avoid it in the future please?

Mine have mostly all bolted this year for the first time. I can't
decide whether it's because of the weather or my feeding them while
they were in the seed tray. the feeding worked as I have much fatter
leeks that in years gone by.

Jonathan

Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 6 28-03-2003 06:32 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM