Old 29-10-2011, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to do with the lawn in November?

Our lawn is pretty rubbish now, especially after the soaking summer up
here (near Hadrian's Wall). The soil is clay. The lawn is old (35+
years), but gets pretty well cared for.

The moss is grabbing an early hold this year. I could rake it out, but
there are a good 4 months before the grass can fight it off again....
should I bother treating and raking moss at this time of year?

I'd like to give the lawn some treatment this Autumn, **if it would do
any good**. I'm *very* well aware that the Garden Centres market
"Autumn Dressing" at this time, but I'm always suspicious that these
things are more in the interest of profits than gardens. (Am I
over-sceptical?)

It's not just the moss I want to get rid of: I'd like to raise the
general health of this, one of my favourite parts of our garden. Do I
wait until next Spring?

Cheers
John
Old 29-10-2011, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 20:02:21 +0100, Another John
wrote:

[...]

I have never applied autumn feed to a lawn - I simply stop feeding it
at the end of August. At this time of year, all I do is scarify it.
You can do this with an ordinary spring tine rake but there are
special rakes that do the job better - I have one for my Wolf
multi-tool system. It's a bit of effort but it all helps to keep the
waist smaller Getting rid of thatch and allowing the grass to
breathe is, IMO, the best thing for now. Some people aerate the lawn
at this time of year, either with a hollow tine fork or a normal
garden fork, but I leave this till spring.

(FWIW, before anyone says anything, I used to have an electric
scarifier. Manual's much better IMO.)

Moss is not a problem but a symptom. Poor drainage , compacted soil or
shade are the usual problems that moss indicates. Apply some effort to
those in the spring - sow a shady seed mix, improve drainage, relieve
compaction.

Use winter to plan your attack. Will you need to sow some seed in bare
areas? You can't use lawn weedkillers for a year on newly sown areas.
So if you need to, apply a weed and feed in, say, late March/early
April. Evergreen Complete Soluble is a good option and, IMO, better
than any granules you apply - even with experience it's difficult to
get an even spread with granular products.With luck you'll be able to
rake out the dead moss in early May and you can then sow seed in May -
not too late as long as you keep it watered and stay off the area
while it grows.

You can use a liquid feed like Lawn Magic about every 3 weeks (with a
hose end feeder its easy to apply) straight after sowing seed. With an
established lawn, feed monthly about 2-3 days after mowing.

If you really love your lawn, have a think during the winter about any
layout issues you can deal with. Do you have a rotary clothes airer
thing in the middle of the lawn or a clothes line running across it?
Sinking some stepping stones into the lawn might help to reduce the
"path creation effect" and can look quite attractive. If you want an
"invisible" solution there are plastic mesh things that you can sink
into the ground to reinforce a walkway - this avoids the compaction
effect. If there's a really shady spot, can you either open up
whatever is causing the shade or think about re-configuring the lawn
to take the overly-shaded bit out and grow some shade loving plants
there instead? Even ask yourself the question - is it actually worth
keeping the moss? Often it'll stay green in drought when grass browns.
My late mother's lawn was 60%+ moss. It always looked green and the
moss wasn't that apparent until you got close up and even then it was
lovely and soft to walk on in bare feet. I have a shady area where I
leave the moss alone.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's about
the same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

The cat's web site is at www.pillie.me.uk.
Old 29-10-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Another John writes
Our lawn is pretty rubbish now, especially after the soaking summer up
here (near Hadrian's Wall). The soil is clay. The lawn is old (35+
years), but gets pretty well cared for.

The moss is grabbing an early hold this year. I could rake it out, but
there are a good 4 months before the grass can fight it off again....
should I bother treating and raking moss at this time of year?

Scarifying is a regular autumn maintenance activity. It's probably too
late now to sow grass seed on any bare patches, leave that that to the
spring now.
I'd like to give the lawn some treatment this Autumn, **if it would do
any good**. I'm *very* well aware that the Garden Centres market
"Autumn Dressing" at this time, but I'm always suspicious that these
things are more in the interest of profits than gardens. (Am I
over-sceptical?)

Autumn fertiliser is a different make-up to normal - less nitrogen, more
phosphates and potassium. This is to promote root growth but not top
growth. Should be used every year.
It's not just the moss I want to get rid of: I'd like to raise the
general health of this, one of my favourite parts of our garden. Do I
wait until next Spring?

A good autumn top dressing is very helpful. You can also aerate the
lawn. However I have found that hollow tine aerators do not work very
well on clay -it simply blocks up the holes. Depending on size of your
lawn you may wish to hire a slit aerator before top dressing.

But remember, one of the major causes of problems with lawns is cutting
the grass too short. If you are keen to develop a good quality lawn I
can recommend "the New Lawn Expert" by Dr D G Hessayon ISBN
0-903505-48-7
John

--
hugh
Old 31-10-2011, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Our lawn is pretty rubbish now, especially after the soaking summer up

Mow it again I think.
it's still growing.

Another mild day today!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 31-10-2011, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Another John wrote in news:lalaw44-
lid:

[...]

I think the best treatment is to aerate it with a garden fork now in
autumn.
It's hard work but worth the effort.
If you don't know, you stick your fork into the lawn as deep as possible,
the whole depth of your fork if possible, give it a wiggle to open up the
holes you have made and repeat this at 6" intervals all over the lawn. It
gives good drainage that moss won't survive long in.

Once you have done that, scarify it by dragging your rake across the lawn
very firmly indeed to get moss and thatch off of the surface. Your lawn
should look very poorly by now but don't worry it will recover and by
Spring you will be glad you did this hard work.

You can scarify before aeration if you like but I get the best results the
way I suggest.

What you can also do is to sparingly sow seed and lawn fertiliser and with
a yard brush sweep it into the aeration holes you made . My lawn looks
great without this but it is somethimg you might like to do.

Finally,in spring if you get weeds growing treat it to a liquid lawn
weedkiller.

2 years ago my 2 quite small lawns were in a disgusting state with moss and
weeds, I gave them this treatment and have had them looking like a snooker
table though I have let them go a bit now they just look lush, even in late
Oct. No weeds or moss.

Hope this helps John.
Baz

Old 31-10-2011, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to all who replied -- good advice: I'm pretty clear now on what
action to take!

John