GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Smelly Water Butt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/200218-smelly-water-butt.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 29-10-2011 11:41 PM

Smelly Water Butt

One of our water butts gets smelly. It's the one which collects off the
house roof and lichen etc comes down. Is it that?

I intend opening the tap and draining it and leaving the tap open over
winter, hopefully it should clean it out with a wash through over winter.

(We will now have a very dry winter ;-)

Mike

harry 30-10-2011 07:39 AM

Smelly Water Butt

On Oct 29, 10:41*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
One of our water butts gets smelly. It's the one which collects off the
house roof and lichen etc comes down. Is it that?

I intend opening the tap and draining it and leaving the tap open over
winter, hopefully it should clean it out with a wash through over winter.

(We will now have a very dry winter ;-)

Mike

Probably a dead bird/animal in there.

'Mike'[_4_] 30-10-2011 11:12 PM

Smelly Water Butt

"Janet" wrote in message
In article d2f01537-6e7e-48d5-93d3-b27771ed1df7
@l5g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, says...

Probably a dead bird/animal in there.

I agree. Over years I've found a large floating rat and skeletons of
several small birds drowned in ours. Apparently victims of fatal nosiness.

Janet

Thanks for the suggestions folks. No, nothing in there except a mossy type
Lichen of the roof of the house.

Now drained with the tap open and it can stay like that until the Spring.

Mike