Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Good time for grass seed

I've done bad things to a patch of lawn (left a tent on there with stuff
inside for far too long) and when we took the tend down recently there was a
lot of brown grass and bare earth.

Chucked some Homebase family lawn seed on and it has burst into life very
quickly.
So now might be a good time for any minor lawn repairs whilst the mild
weather holds :-)

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
news

On 2011-11-03 13:43:23 +0000, "David WE Roberts"
said:

I've done bad things to a patch of lawn (left a tent on there with
stuff inside for far too long) and when we took the tend down recently
there was a lot of brown grass and bare earth.

Chucked some Homebase family lawn seed on and it has burst into life
very quickly.
So now might be a good time for any minor lawn repairs whilst the mild
weather holds :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Isn't this one of the favoured times of year because the soil is still
warm and hopefully, the rain will water it for you?!

AFAIK, the established thinking is that mid-October is really the end
of grass sowing season. Whilst grass will germinate now if the soil
remains warm, the new growth will be delicate and susceptible to frost
damage. This is the same reason why we stop using summer lawn food
(which promotes top growth) and switch to autumn food (which promotes
root growth). I don't bother with autumn food, just stop the summer
feeding at the end of September.

David might want to have some fleece handy to lay over the grass if
frosts are forecast during November and probably into December

OTOH, we're still in the prime turf laying period.

Coastal location probably gives me a little leeway.
Besides which all the fields around are turning to fresh new green with
winter wheat so I assume young growth in at least some grasses can
overwinter.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-11-03 13:43:23 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

I've done bad things to a patch of lawn (left a tent on there with
stuff inside for far too long) and when we took the tend down recently
there was a lot of brown grass and bare earth.
Chucked some Homebase family lawn seed on and it has burst into life
very quickly.
So now might be a good time for any minor lawn repairs whilst the
mild weather holds :-)
Cheers
Dave R

Isn't this one of the favoured times of year because the soil is still
warm and hopefully, the rain will water it for you?!

Normally a bit late now, but of course we are having exceptionally mild
weather at the moment.
--
hugh
Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 5, 12:59*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Sacha
writesOn 2011-11-03 13:43:23 +0000, "David WE Roberts" said:

I've done bad things to a patch of lawn (left a tent on there with
stuff inside for far too long) and when we took the tend down recently
there was a lot of brown grass and bare earth.
*Chucked some Homebase family lawn seed on and it has burst into life
very quickly.
So now might be a good time for any minor lawn repairs whilst the
mild *weather holds :-)
*Cheers
*Dave R

Isn't this one of the favoured times of year because the soil is still
warm and hopefully, the rain will water it for you?!

Normally a bit late now, but of course we are having exceptionally mild
weather at the moment.
--
hugh

A good few years ago I sowed Grass seed on new years day, it was up in
less than 3 weeks and didn't have any protection from the weather.
If it's slow germinating then all it needs protecting from are the
birds and mice..
Grass seed is quite able to sit there till conditions suit it then it
will germinate and grow away . It's tough stuff.
David