Old 19-11-2011, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A bit of a ticking off!

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
Nospam@invalid says...

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 00:27:13 -0000, Janet
wrote:

There is nothing unlawful about putting up a sign that says
"beware of
the dog".

A few years ago there was a case where a dog attacked someone in
a chap's back garden. He argued that the dog was normally docile
and wasn't a guard dog as such but the fact that he had a "beware
of the dog" sign on his gate (as a deterrent to intruders) was
taken as evidence that he really thought the dog might be
dangerous and he had to pay damages to the intruder. IIRC the
court nearly ordered the dog's destruction but was persuaded not
to.

Which still does not make it illegal to put up the sign.

Janet.

Just **** off then.
I have tried to please your ****ed up ego.

Baz

Baz have you ever stood back and looked at yourself and the problems
YOU seem to get surrounded with?

No?

I suggest you do then!

Kindest possible sympathies

Mike

Look here Walter,

Emery Davis wrote

Since you're liable whether you have a sign or not, I'm afraid that
doesn't hold much water, sorry David.

However not to worry if your dog bites someone! Liability insurance
is obligatory in France, and is your home insurance policy covers
anything that happens on your property.

Home insurance isn't obligatory here (unless it's mortaged) so lots of
dog owners have no public liability insurance.
Even if they do, it makes no difference to dog owners liability in law;
if a dog bites and the owner had failed to keep it under control they get
prosecuted.
A year or so back a rottweiller belonging to someone we know (hopeless
with dogs) bit a woman. She made a police complaint. A policeman came to
interview the owner at home, and very tactlessly the dog bit the
policeman. The owner got charged with failure to control a dangerous dog.
The court permanently removed the dog from its owner but he managed to
plead for its life and it went to rehab with a professional dog
psychologist (I'm not joking) where it's been happily living with his
dozen dogs with no further problems.

Janet

I suppose it's too late to suggest he starts watching "The Dog Whisperer"
!

Bill

Old 19-11-2011, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

NO I will not pay up. Never. Thats the point, I consider myself
innocent.

And so do I. I would refuse to pay the fixed penalty, and insist on going
to court. Make sure you let the plod know that you consider their actions
outrageous and unacceptable, especially if they are taking no action
against the intruder. They will almost certainly get the wobbles, and
settle for sending you a "don't do it again" letter. Attack is always the
best form of defence.

Thre trespasser hasn't committed a crime, his offence is a civil offence
and is of no interest to the police.

Bill

Old 19-11-2011, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/11/2011 19:23, kay wrote:
'Spider[_3_ Wrote:

Can you plant a prickly rose against that fence so that you have some
protection? Provided you keep it trimmed at the top (which will make it

denser ;~)), I don't see how the police can object.

Indeed many police forces will give you a leaflet on protecting your
home and garden which contains suggestions for prickly plants.

Quite so. Being the Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator for our road, I see
most of these guides. One still has to be sensible, though, and not
drag the spirit of the law too far away from the letter of the law;~).
The "keep it trimmed" advice was something of a two-edged sword.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 19-11-2011, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:07:00 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

NO I will not pay up. Never. Thats the point, I consider myself
innocent.

And so do I. I would refuse to pay the fixed penalty, and insist on
going
to court. Make sure you let the plod know that you consider their
actions
outrageous and unacceptable, especially if they are taking no action
against the intruder. They will almost certainly get the wobbles, and
settle for sending you a "don't do it again" letter. Attack is always
the
best form of defence.

Thre trespasser hasn't committed a crime, his offence is a civil offence
and is of no interest to the police.

So why do Sheffield police send somebody fast if you report an
intruder in your garden?
--

Martin

Because of the crime he may be about to commit?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-11-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:30:30 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. they have a proactive policy of preventing crime. There are
plenty of things an intruder can be charged with.

Can you give an example?

Janet

Peeping Tom?

Old 20-11-2011, 12:38 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
You should instead put up a sign that says "Beware of the Rottweiler" if
you dog happens to be another breed
"Beware of the Agapanthus"
__________________
Old 20-11-2011, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:35:00 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:30:30 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

[...]

There would have to be someone at home, to be peeped. Proving a charge
is much harder. Tom only needs to say " I thought I heard someone calling
for help".

Cases where the person caught left his finger prints in the previous
houses he broke into.

That does not make him guilty of crime for being in another garden.

Loitering with intent to commit a crime
Criminal damage.

Those would require some degree of evidence of crime. Just "being in
someone's garden", is not an offence.

Janet

The police were notified three times that this place was being wrecked, but
they didn't want to know.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album-GJXNA7W...-of-Other.html

Of course had the place been wrecked by a speeding car, the Police would
have been there like a shot.

Mike

Old 20-11-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:

"Beware of the Agapanthus"

I know of a fellow that had something involving a D-cell battery and a sign
in large alarming red letters:

DANGER!!! ONE MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND MICROVOLTS!!!

Old 21-11-2011, 03:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay
writes
"Beware of the Agapanthus"

Or "cactus" Kay!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-11-2011, 03:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Maybe some of that non drying paint that is painted onto drainpipes
might help? On the fence or perhaps a big pool of it in the path of the
trespasser.

Old 21-11-2011, 03:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
So why do Sheffield police send somebody fast if you report an
intruder in your garden?
--
Martin

Because of the crime he may be about to commit?

Or the crime you might commit on the intruder?

Old 21-11-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"shazzbat" wrote in message

NO I will not pay up. Never. Thats the point, I consider myself
innocent.

And so do I. I would refuse to pay the fixed penalty, and insist on
going
to court. Make sure you let the plod know that you consider their
actions
outrageous and unacceptable, especially if they are taking no action
against the intruder. They will almost certainly get the wobbles, and
settle for sending you a "don't do it again" letter. Attack is always
the
best form of defence.

Thre trespasser hasn't committed a crime, his offence is a civil offence
and is of no interest to the police.

So why do Sheffield police send somebody fast if you report an
intruder in your garden?
--

Martin

I suggest you ask the Sheffield police !
Bill

Old 22-11-2011, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We are no longer allowed to put up a sign "Beware of the Dog" in the UK.

really?

troll

In fact I beleive we have to rely on not being killed or injured while we
sleep, and if we are then simply 'phone the police during any attack, life
threating or not. Simple when some scroat has you by the balls or has your
wife nailed to the coffee table.

Baz