GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Name wanted Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/200480-name-wanted-please.html)

Dave Hill 28-11-2011 04:32 PM

Name wanted Please

I had a couple of cuttings of this tree a few years ago, mum was
around 40ft+
I just can't remember the name, any one able to help?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Conifer01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Conifer02.jpg
Many thanks
David
At the wet end of Swansea Bay where it's tiping it down yet again.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 28-11-2011 09:58 PM

Name wanted Please

On 28/11/2011 16:32, Dave Hill wrote:
I had a couple of cuttings of this tree a few years ago, mum was
around 40ft+
I just can't remember the name, any one able to help?
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Conifer01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Conifer02.jpg
Many thanks
David
At the wet end of Swansea Bay where it's tiping it down yet again.

Probably completely wrong, but could it be some sort of Cryptomeria?

--

Jeff

Dave Poole 28-11-2011 11:33 PM

Name wanted Please

Judging by the 2nd.pic with what looks to be white-splashed young
shoots, it is probably Thujopsis dolobrata 'variegata'. Some nursery
catalogues hopefully suggest that it grows to a couple of metres high,
omitting to mention that it then goes on for several to many more
metres as time passes.

Dave Hill 29-11-2011 09:30 AM

Name wanted Please

On Nov 28, 11:33*pm, Dave Poole wrote:
Judging by the 2nd.pic with what looks to be white-splashed young
shoots, it is probably Thujopsis dolobrata 'variegata'. *Some nursery
catalogues hopefully suggest that it grows to a couple of metres high,
omitting to mention that it then goes on for several to many more
metres as time passes.

Thanks Dave, that does ring a bell, it's around 10 years ago when I
took the cuttings.
David

Paul Rix 05-12-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hill (Post 942755)
On Nov 28, 11:33*pm, Dave Poole wrote:
Judging by the 2nd.pic with what looks to be white-splashed young
shoots, it is probably Thujopsis dolobrata 'variegata'. *Some nursery
catalogues hopefully suggest that it grows to a couple of metres high,
omitting to mention that it then goes on for several to many more
metres as time passes.

Thanks Dave, that does ring a bell, it's around 10 years ago when I
took the cuttings.
David

Hi,
Good start for a new member, dis-agreeing,
I think it is thuja O. 'zebrina' It doesn't look 'heavy' enough for thujopsis.
All the best Paul Rix [old geezer]