GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frost or not? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/200514-frost-not.html)

Dave Hill 02-12-2011 09:57 PM

Frost or not?

Last night gave us our first almost frost, frost patterns on the
glasshouse roof this morning but no dammage to the dahlias out the
field, not even the pot tubers foliage.
Rain moved in just after 3 pm and has been heavy all evening, just
what we wanted( I don't think), but at least no chance of frost.
Much more rain and we will be able to offer "Down Hill Water Skiing"
Oh for some dry weather.
David
At the wet end of Swansea bay

kay 03-12-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hill (Post 942935)
Last night gave us our first almost frost, frost patterns on the
glasshouse roof this morning but no dammage to the dahlias out the
field, not even the pot tubers foliage.
Rain moved in just after 3 pm and has been heavy all evening, just
what we wanted( I don't think), but at least no chance of frost.
Much more rain and we will be able to offer "Down Hill Water Skiing"
Oh for some dry weather.
David
At the wet end of Swansea bay

On the Radio 3 news this morning they were saying the Alpine ski season has opened wihout snow on many slopes after the driest autumn on record.

Granity 03-12-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 942944)
On the Radio 3 news this morning they were saying the Alpine ski season has opened wihout snow on many slopes after the driest autumn on record.

Yep these webcams usually show lots of snow in December:

Office de Tourisme du Grand Bornand | Vacances Haute-Savoie

Dave Hill 03-12-2011 01:55 PM

Frost or not?

On Dec 2, 9:57*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Last night gave us our first almost frost, frost patterns on the
glasshouse roof this morning but no dammage to the dahlias out the
field, not even the pot tubers foliage.
Rain moved in just after 3 pm and has been heavy all evening, just
what we wanted( I don't think), but at least no chance of frost.
Much more rain and we will be able to offer *"Down Hill Water Skiing"
Oh for some dry weather.
David
At the wet end of Swansea bay

To follow up the last posting, yesterday (Friday) we ended up with
0.65 inches of rain, this morning we have had bursts of sunshine and
the back door step has actualy dried out for the first time in over a
week.

echinosum 04-12-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Hill (Post 942935)
Last night gave us our first almost frost, frost patterns on the
glasshouse roof this morning but no dammage to the dahlias out the
field, not even the pot tubers foliage.

So likely air temperature was just above freezing, low enough for radiative frost on locations most exposed to the dark sky, but not an air frost to freeze stuff through.