GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   daffodil Bulbs starting to appear already (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/200522-daffodil-bulbs-starting-appear-already.html)

gary lacey 04-12-2011 01:37 PM

daffodil Bulbs starting to appear already

Hi just wondered if anyone can help with some advice on bulbs. We recently planted tulips, daffodil and bluebell bulbs and I noticed yesterday the daffodils are starting to appear already which I guess is due to the mild weather we have been having. What I would like to know is what happens to them when the weather decides to start turning colder.

Any help is appreciated

Dave Hill 04-12-2011 03:34 PM

daffodil Bulbs starting to appear already

--
gary lacey

They will get colder themselves, stop growing then start again when
they warm up a bit.

No Name 04-12-2011 04:40 PM

gary lacey wrote:
Hi just wondered if anyone can help with some advice on bulbs. We
recently planted tulips, daffodil and bluebell bulbs and I noticed
yesterday the daffodils are starting to appear already which I guess is
due to the mild weather we have been having. What I would like to know
is what happens to them when the weather decides to start turning
colder.

Any help is appreciated

I don't know about tulips, daffs and bluebells, but my irises are always up
by mid-November - often seeming to appear overnight! - and then they sit
there and don't do anything until Feb. I think plants that flower in spring
are generally well equipped to cope with the sudden onset of cold, even when
it's a bit 'unusual'.

kay 04-12-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary lacey (Post 942976)
Hi just wondered if anyone can help with some advice on bulbs. We recently planted tulips, daffodil and bluebell bulbs and I noticed yesterday the daffodils are starting to appear already which I guess is due to the mild weather we have been having. What I would like to know is what happens to them when the weather decides to start turning colder.

Any help is appreciated

No, it's normal, nothing to do with the mild weather. The leaves always start appearing this time of year. Nothing to worry about.

But do worry if the tulip and bluebell leaves start to appear!

gary lacey 05-12-2011 06:04 PM

Thanks for the all the advice and setting my mind at rest, its our first year of planting bulbs so i was starting to panic a bit.

mogga 07-12-2011 12:09 PM

daffodil Bulbs starting to appear already

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 19:39:20 +0000, kay
wrote:

gary lacey;942976 Wrote:
Hi just wondered if anyone can help with some advice on bulbs. We
recently planted tulips, daffodil and bluebell bulbs and I noticed
yesterday the daffodils are starting to appear already which I guess is
due to the mild weather we have been having. What I would like to know
is what happens to them when the weather decides to start turning
colder.

Any help is appreciated

No, it's normal, nothing to do with the mild weather. The leaves always
start appearing this time of year. Nothing to worry about.

But do worry if the tulip and bluebell leaves start to appear!

The bluebells are coming up! There's some under the hedge I noticed
yesterday about 1-2cm up so far!

It's hailing and windy and rainy and nasty.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

kay 07-12-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogga (Post 943212)

The bluebells are coming up! There's some under the hedge I noticed
yesterday about 1-2cm up so far!

Oh well, obviously the OP doesn't need to worry about his bluebell bulbs either! They clearly come up this side of Christmas too.

mogga 08-12-2011 10:04 AM

daffodil Bulbs starting to appear already

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:27:19 +0000, kay
wrote:

mogga;943212 Wrote:

The bluebells are coming up! There's some under the hedge I noticed
yesterday about 1-2cm up so far!

Oh well, obviously the OP doesn't need to worry about his bluebell bulbs
either! They clearly come up this side of Christmas too.

I think normally they're after the start of January but I'd have to
look through hundreds of photos to see if I have any of them coming
up.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk