GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Severe weather 18:00 Thursday to 00:00 Saturday. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/200579-severe-weather-18-00-thursday-00-00-saturday.html)

David WE Roberts[_4_] 08-12-2011 09:43 AM

Severe weather 18:00 Thursday to 00:00 Saturday.

North West is likely to get a lot of snow.

Suffolk is predicted to go down to -3C overnight Friday.

Time to bring anything frost fragile in, methinks.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 09-12-2011 03:28 PM

Severe weather 18:00 Thursday to 00:00 Saturday.

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:55:01 +0100, Martin wrote:

How do the worms living in our lawn and in fields survive? I think we
should be told. :-)

Frost rarely penetrates more than 30cm into the ground...

--
Cheers
Dave.

kay 09-12-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] (Post 943420)

How do the worms living in our lawn and in fields survive? I think we
should be told. :-)
-

They go down deep, so they avoid the low surface temperatures.

Worms in a wormery may die in the same way as plants in the ground can survive winter by dying back to just roots, but the same plant in a pot may die, because the entire pot is frozen.

Dave Hill 10-12-2011 01:42 PM

Severe weather 18:00 Thursday to 00:00 Saturday.

How do the worms living in our lawn and in fields survive? I think *we
should be told. :-)

* They burrow deeper to escape frost. *Anyway they are a different species
of worm from the ones used in wormeries.

* *Janet

.

I think we should be told.

WHY?

kay 10-12-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 943598)

They burrow deeper to escape frost. Anyway they are a different species
of worm from the ones used in wormeries.

..

But the ones in wormeries also live in the UK, so free-range ones also have to burrow deeper in winter.