Old 02-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Slug and snail solution.

Jon wrote in message ...
This is a new one on me, but seems like an excellent idea. Taken from
http://www.permaculture.co.uk

Winning The Slug War

We have made a slug barrier that works. It uses no harmful chemicals and
doesn't hurt the slugs and snails. We were able to use reclaimed
materials for a large part of the input.
The barrier is a moat made of normal household guttering and kept filled
up with water. At night we can watch in glee as snails make a bid for
the plants only to be stopped in their tracks.

((snip))

So how is this going to stop those soils dwelling slugs eating all my spuds?
It's the worst slug/snail problem we have.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 03-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Hussein M.

On Fri, 2 May 2003 23:03:03 +0100, "Sue & Bob Hobden"
wrote:

snip

Ones
with blue slug pellets were disappointing, others were fab. Tried it again
last year, same result. In a veg patch you can just criss-cross the

barrier
pellets so it actually even looks nice (if you've got an arty veg patch!).

Guttering suggesting is fab - several people have had the same idea over

the
years.

Again, neither of these suggestions will do anything to stop the soil
dwelling slugs, those little black ones that eat all our spuds underground.

I think for that you have to invest in nematodes.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.