GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Treasure! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/201774-treasure.html)

Kathy 01-01-2012 12:53 PM

Treasure!

See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

--
Kathy

Janet 01-01-2012 01:23 PM

Treasure!

In article , says...

See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

What a nice story :-)

I've dug up fossils, a pair of very old glasses in a case, and the skull
of an enormous dog. No gold.. yet.

Janet.

mogga 01-01-2012 03:04 PM

Treasure!

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 13:23:07 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article , says...

See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

What a nice story :-)

I've dug up fossils, a pair of very old glasses in a case, and the skull
of an enormous dog. No gold.. yet.

Janet.

I found a gold ring on my allotment. All broken and twisted though.
Doesn't weigh much and isn't as interesting IMO as the action man
head, the plastic cowboy on a horse and the pottery shards. Or the two
door keys, two £1 coins, loose change and the other assorted bits of
junk pulled out.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

chrisj.doran%[email protected] 01-01-2012 03:53 PM

Treasure!

On Jan 1, 12:53*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

--
Kathy

I thought I'd dug up a gold ring once, but on closer inspection it
turned out to be a coiled-up baby slow worm -- little ones, especially
females, are often gold. My reaction at the time that it was a more
interesting find than if it had been a real ring.

Chris

Bill Grey 01-01-2012 04:03 PM

Treasure!

"Kathy" wrote in message
See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

--
Kathy

Not a gardening find, but lucky nevertheless. My wife had just finished
playing a game of indoor bowls when she saw something sparklng in the end
ditch. She chcked it and found it to be a small diamond from a ladies ring.
The owner had only just lost it and was delighted to have it returned.

Bill

Emery Davis[_4_] 01-01-2012 04:55 PM

Treasure!

On 01/01/2012 01:53 PM, Kathy wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

I saw it earlier, a wonderful story.

When we first bought here there was a small walled pond that had been
blocked and used as a farm waste dump. I decided to recover it, and dug
the whole thing out. It was filled with 'orribles, old needles and
ampule, various bones, plastic shoes, lots of shell, paint cans etc. At
one point I thought I'd hit a big oil can, but when the shovel scratched
it it was clearly copper. Turned out to be a beautiful alembic,. with
the serpent still intact. Unfortunately the top was stove in, apparently
by the tax man.

More than 20 years later I still haven't repaired the blasted thing...

-E

Spider[_3_] 01-01-2012 05:06 PM

Treasure!

On 01/01/2012 13:23, Janet wrote:
In , says...

See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

What a nice story :-)

I've dug up fossils, a pair of very old glasses in a case, and the skull
of an enormous dog.

You don't happen to live on the great Grimpen Mire, do you?

No gold.. yet.

Janet.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

mogga 02-01-2012 10:02 AM

Treasure!

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 17:55:56 +0100, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 01/01/2012 01:53 PM, Kathy wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

I saw it earlier, a wonderful story.

When we first bought here there was a small walled pond that had been
blocked and used as a farm waste dump. I decided to recover it, and dug
the whole thing out. It was filled with 'orribles, old needles and
ampule, various bones, plastic shoes, lots of shell, paint cans etc. At
one point I thought I'd hit a big oil can, but when the shovel scratched
it it was clearly copper. Turned out to be a beautiful alembic,. with
the serpent still intact. Unfortunately the top was stove in, apparently
by the tax man.

More than 20 years later I still haven't repaired the blasted thing...

-E

Photo!
I had to look up what an alembic is! :)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 02-01-2012 11:56 AM

Treasure!

In article ,
Janet writes
What a nice story :-)

I've dug up fossils, a pair of very old glasses in a case, and the skull
of an enormous dog. No gold.. yet.

I'm still digging up dinky toys and plastic soldiers and Lego from when
my son was small!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

'Mike'[_4_] 02-01-2012 12:36 PM

Treasure!

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:56:37 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article ,
Janet writes
What a nice story :-)

I've dug up fossils, a pair of very old glasses in a case, and the skull
of an enormous dog. No gold.. yet.

I'm still digging up dinky toys and plastic soldiers and Lego from when
my son was small!

We recovered a substantial number of Star Wars models from our garden.
--

Martin

Part of the roof of my old house is in the bottom of this picture

http://www.bradingromanvilla.org.uk/... =brv0061.jpg

Maybe I should have dug a bit deeper!! A lot has been found since we left in
1986. It's even been on TV.

Mike

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 02-01-2012 05:13 PM

Treasure!

In article , Martin
writes
We recovered a substantial number of Star Wars models from our garden.
--

I forgot to add several assorted teaspoons and the foil lids from Muller
yoghurts. He used to chuck them into the green waste bin so they ended

'Mike'[_4_] 02-01-2012 05:17 PM

Treasure!

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Martin
writes
We recovered a substantial number of Star Wars models from our garden.
--

I forgot to add several assorted teaspoons and the foil lids from Muller
yoghurts. He used to chuck them into the green waste bin so they ended up
in the compost and thence onto t he garden!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

TUT TUT. Should have been Benecol, 'Proven to lower Cholesterol'

Mike

John 02-01-2012 07:16 PM

Treasure!

On Jan 1, 12:53*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

--
Kathy

I have found loads of clay pipe bits, but by far my proudest find is a
Henry II silver, half cross penny c1180-1199. Pride of place on my
mantlepiece

lannerman 03-01-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy (Post 946229)
See what you can find when you garden!

BBC News - Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16 years

--
Kathy

Whilst building a rockery at a garden centre in Somerset I found what I thought was the fossil of some very exciting creature (or part of one) I rushed up to Bristol museum only to be very disappointed to learn it was the fossil of a rare coral called Paleosmilia murchisonia and was 400 million years old and that they had lost their only specimen during the blitz, as far as I know, its still on display
Lannerman.

harry 03-01-2012 08:42 AM

Treasure!

On Jan 1, 12:53*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
See what you can find when you garden!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16374283

--
Kathy

Lots of glass bottles, some about 200 years old at my previous place.