GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moving a fuschia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/201808-moving-fuschia.html)

P. Alves 05-01-2012 08:44 PM

Moving a fuschia

Hi everyone, I need to move a couple of fuschias. Any suggestion on when and how?
Any special trick or detail to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
PA

Dave Hill 06-01-2012 09:20 AM

Moving a fuschia

On Jan 5, 8:44*pm, "P. Alves" wrote:
Hi everyone, I need to move a couple of fuschias. Any suggestion on when and how?
Any special trick or detail to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.
PA

More information would help.
Age
Size
Type
Etc

Sue[_9_] 06-01-2012 03:56 PM

Moving a fuschia

"Chris Hogg" wrote
IME you can move them almost any time, but we live in a very mild part
of the country and it may be different where you are. I also find that
any bits of root that get left behind will tend to send up shoots and
a new plant re-grows in the old position. I have a Mrs. Popple that
I've dug up several times but still it comes again!

I've found the same thing with hardy fuschias. Once established their
roots seem to go down really deeply.

I once had a largish F. magellanica that just upped and died for no
apparent reason. I cut the dead top down and hoped it would regrow from
the bottom but after several months nothing had happened so it was dug
out. The following year when I was about to plant something different in
its place, small shoots of a new fuschia had sprung up from some small
piece of remaining root.

--
Sue

Derek[_6_] 06-01-2012 05:34 PM

Moving a fuschia

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 12:44:15 -0800 (PST), "P. Alves"
wrote:

Hi everyone, I need to move a couple of fuschias. Any suggestion on when and how?
Any special trick or detail to be aware of?

Can do it now, give it a good cut back, and a good deep mulch.
Lincolnfuschiasociety.info
(Any Olympic GameMakers)